Author Topic: Getting sinew from road-kill????  (Read 2139 times)

TurtleCreek

Getting sinew from road-kill????
« on: October 15, 2011, 03:17:35 pm »
  Starting to see more and more deer lying on the side of the road and it got me thinking: how long does an animal have to be dead before the sinew starts to go bad?? 

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Getting sinew from road-kill????
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 03:58:54 pm »
  I know a guy that it doesn't matter he's cut the legs off 2 week road kills. But you can find a deer processer and get all the legs you want. I don't think I'd want to cut the back sinew out after a couple days. If it's cold I'm sure the sinew would be good longer but I'm sure the smell would be a killer in warmer weather.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 04:08:54 pm »
Yup...I do it in the cooler months or if its still fresh in the warmer months. But I only take the leg sinew and not the back. Its quick n easy to saw off the legs n throw em in the back of your vehicle,then process them once home. Sometimes I've taken em from frozen carcasass and had to let em thaw out before I could cut the tendons out. I always keep a small handsaw and knife on me when driving for such occasions as this and other things as well.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 05:39:14 pm »
Check your local game laws.  I asked a conservation officer about collecting sinew and feathers from roadkill and he told me that I would have to be issued a permit to take any part of a roadkill animal.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 05:45:40 pm »
Check your local game laws.  I asked a conservation officer about collecting sinew and feathers from roadkill and he told me that I would have to be issued a permit to take any part of a roadkill animal.

Definitely check the regulations. here in Oregon you would get big fines just for touching them. Seems stupid and hate to see the waist.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 10:55:08 pm »
Yep I'm with ya blackhawk I live in Iowa and do it all the time here besides the ones I shoot myself.Could get a fine I suppose but it would a from a very bored game warden far as I'm concerened.LOL.I'm 57 years old and do know better but I like to live on the wild side LOL.No offense meant.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

TurtleCreek

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 12:52:17 pm »
  Thanks guys.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 09:34:16 am »
  You can pick up all the road kill you want in TN. no problem. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good