Author Topic: My first selfbow  (Read 3766 times)

Offline Ozzy

My first selfbow
« on: October 15, 2011, 09:14:08 pm »
Here she is it not perfect but I love it and its my first . She don't make a sound and no hand shockbut hits hard.
Shes made from a hickory stave 70" ntn 55@30
And a big thanks to Rich for all his help
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 09:22:51 pm by OZZY »
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: My first selfbow
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 09:44:03 pm »
Nothing quite like your first.  8)  Well done.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 10:24:38 pm »
Congrats on yer first! With your next bow, try and get your tiller more even. Your bottom limb has a hinge, right about mid-limb, where it's doing all the bending in one small spot. The fade is stiff, and so is the tip. If you get the entire limb bending, your next bow will last longer, take less set, and perform better. Keep goin'!

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 11:04:01 pm »
I'm with Pat, shoot the snot out of it and enjoy it.....maybe get the chance at some meat makin 8)
rich

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 11:36:38 pm »
It does feel good don't it! Enjoy  the heck out of it!

Chasing Crow 
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline johnston

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 11:41:13 pm »
Very cool! First bows are special and you did a decent job.

When I posted my first bow Rich told me to hang on to it. That in the future it would become even more special. Well, that bow ain't any better now than it was then but he was right. It is very special.

Go kill something.

Lane

Offline coaster500

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 03:02:46 am »
It's a great feeling watching an arrow fly from a bow you built :)

Congrats!!! 
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 10:26:42 pm »
Thanks for all the good words.
I took it stump shooting today got a few kills lol;-)
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 10:33:45 pm »
...cool ...have fun with It !!!

Offline TheWildCat

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 10:59:00 pm »
Great job on your first bow. It is such a great feelin, shootin arrows from a bow that ya built yourself. Its part of you, ya know every inch of the bow on a personal level. Having shapped, scrapped, and sanded to completion, there is great satifaction in knowing you built it. And now you are reepin the rewards of shootin it. There are a lot of people out there that would love to build their own bow, but never put forth the effort. Good Luck with your new bow...TheWildCat
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 11:09:52 pm »
Congratulations on your first bow!  Shoot the snot out of it, and revel in your success.  Everyone is still trying to make the perfect bow.  You've learned a lot and will get better as you build more.  That is, unless you weren't bitten by the selfbow bug.  (Doubt it).

Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline nyarrow

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 11:19:54 pm »
Nice job! Enjoy shooting it and I hope you can harvest some dinner with it. I still shoot my first twice a week, its fun an certainly a special stepping stone in the bow building experience.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 02:03:21 am »
Congratulations!  BEWARE.... You have started down a path that is hard to turn away from.....if you find yourself awake at night thinking about making bows.....looking at trees in the neighborhood wondering which one would make the best bow....sitting at work wondering if you will try a recurve next or some other design...or spending hours searching the internet for more information about how to bend wood or make a flemish twist string...sitting at church looking at the woodwork on the bench in front of you and noticing how straight the grain is.....and so on and so on....If after shooting this first bow you immediately want to make another one and can't wait to do it.....then yep.  You have it...it is known by man names....bowyer's syndrome is only one...friends and family members hardly understand it....scientists still have not found a cure....

Yes congratulations!  and BEWARE of what follows....a rewarding hobby / obsession that will certainly ad a new dimension to life....enjoy!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 08:54:15 am »
Ver cool,the first shooter is something very special. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 10:29:05 am »
Dang Ozzy that is a nice bow for your first one keep up the good work.