Author Topic: lathe  (Read 3346 times)

Offline GaryR

lathe
« on: October 22, 2011, 06:43:23 pm »
My buddy just got a wood lathe for turning out duck calls. Could I use it to make arrows shafts?
Gary

Offline footfootfoot

• Now with more irony
Re: lathe
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 08:13:49 pm »
You can but it can be tricky. Turing thin spindle stock requires a few tricks and or special tools.  Image search "Spindle steady"
Your tools need to be razor sharp, use gouges not scrapers- a thin spindle won't suffer much pressure from the tool without chattering and whipping.

I'd try to turn an arrow on a lathe as a last resort, I'd try a plane or a router table first, and I've done many hundreds of hours of turning.

But, don't let me discourage you from trying, just be prepared for a challenge!
Bring me my Bow of burning gold; Bring me my Arrows of desire: Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold! Bring me my Chariot of fire!

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 01:18:59 pm »
Very easy to make a jig that will hold a router for turning arrows, you can cut about 1 a minute and only takes about 1 hour or less to make the jig. Do a web search for arrow making jig, or shaft shooter.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 09:14:59 pm »
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/dowelmakingjig.aspx      and this was interesting   http://woodgears.ca./dowel/making.html   hope these give you ideas.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 09:19:22 pm »
you have to include the entire line for the second link to get you all the way to the right page.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline GaryR

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 11:23:38 pm »
Thanx guys, I'll see what I can do.
Gary

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 03:31:31 pm »
Thanks for posting that link Eric. That's something any wood worker has the tools to do!

Offline footfootfoot

• Now with more irony
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 03:42:47 am »
Very easy to make a jig that will hold a router for turning arrows, you can cut about 1 a minute and only takes about 1 hour or less to make the jig. Do a web search for arrow making jig, or shaft shooter.

Ha ha. You're right,  too true! Silly me, thinking like a primitive turner.  :laugh:

Eric, that dowel making rig with the drill and chisel is fantastic. Thanks for the link
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 03:48:37 am by footfootfoot »
Bring me my Bow of burning gold; Bring me my Arrows of desire: Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold! Bring me my Chariot of fire!