Author Topic: Flowering Dogwood and suggestions...  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Primitive1

Flowering Dogwood and suggestions...
« on: October 18, 2011, 08:16:01 pm »
So I've had a couple of billets from a log of Flowering Dogwood I've been saving to make into a takedown.  I'm getting close to lining everything up from the first splits off the log (take down hardware fitted etc...) but have about  76.5" of length in a 'D' shape cross section that I'm working with.  I have one billet I have yet to remove some twist from and smooth out the reflex but wondering from those that have worked with FD, looks like SG is somewhat better than Hickory and wonder about some final dimensions...suggestions?  Current width and depth is about 1 1/8" past the handle...
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Cedar Hill, MO

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Flowering Dogwood and suggestions...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 09:48:40 pm »
1 1/8" is a bit narrow for dogwood so I'd go a bit longer and keep it that width most of the way out. For a 28" draw maybe 68" long and 1 1/8" wide all but the last 8" then taper to 1/2" for now. You should reduce the tip width later to 3/8" or less.  Keep the belly flat.  I have not worked dogwood but I believe it should be handles much like hickory or HHB. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 07:54:04 am »
I have made a few from Dogwood, It works like HHB pretty much,It seems to be a little easier to keep dry once it had dried out. The dimensions that Pat gave should work OK,the last one I was involved with ,my son Beau made and that is about what it was and came out 50@26,I think it was 66 long 1 1/4 at the fads to mid limb then tapper to the 3/8 tips. I think it is better wood than Hickory overall and reacts good to heat straightening.It is beautiful wood to boot. Hard to find a straight piece with much length so the take down is a good idea :) Good luck and keep us updated. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 11:32:45 am »
 I've built 3 dog wood bows but none the narrow. 2 Of mine were 1 1/2 62 and 64"s and the other 1 5/8 at 60'S. DOGWOOD makes a sweet bow. At a 1 1/8 I keep it to 66 or longer. I'm sure you'll like it.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 12:14:48 pm »
I've only made one dogwood bow, made completely green in 1 hour with an axe and a knife. It shot 150ish yds, took minimal set and was pretty fast...it was about 1 1/2 inches wide so i'm sure you can make a decent bow from dried wood a fair bit narrower. I'd also keep it full width out to about 8 inches from the tips. Flat belly and elliptical tiller.