Author Topic: my first hand forged bodkin(pics added)  (Read 5421 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
my first hand forged bodkin(pics added)
« on: September 30, 2011, 10:52:20 pm »
first of all, don't orry, i will have the pics up soon, but here are the specs, i know it is big but its 4-3/4 incheslong, and weights 525 grains :o
noel
ps, if this is more fit for the warbow thread, please tell me
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 10:01:04 pm by fishfinder401 »
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline fishfinder401

Re: my first hand forged bodkin
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 10:00:33 pm »
here are the pics, sorry for the delay
noel

Offline Cbert

Re: my first hand forged bodkin(pics added)
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 07:56:10 pm »
Kind of interesting timing of this post. At the moment I'm in the process of tooling my shop for the sole purpose of pumping out arrowheads.
The first ones i made a few years ago were quite hideous. Looked like just a bit of mangled steel. They probably weighed a good 21grams! The next evolution was still just as weighty but better formed. There were more prototypes made, but eventually I got to where I'm at now. Usually I aim for 6 grams now. They're made from either scrap rebar i find off the road or 1/4" square stock mild steel. I've hit a brick wall many times with them (on accident of course...as it's behind my target) and I've stuck arrows into the brick. Kinda weird to see an arrow sticking out of a brick wall. Thought about leaving one because it was kind of funny, but I'm sure my land lord wouldn't approve. I've tried a few broadheads with a bit of success. After i get this new forge and some specialized tools made up I want to try making some out of high carbon steel and even try mild steel with high carbon forge welded into the tip/edges. Bodkins pretty much make themselves for me now and I'm setting my sights on something new, like some swallow tails or just some more broadheads of various wicked design. If you're interested in pics I may be persuaded to post some.  :laugh:

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 11:14:24 pm »
Post.  Nuff said.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 06:12:10 pm »
i agree lets see some pics...

Offline Cbert

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 01:24:30 am »
Some are beat up from wear and tear. I'm not to savvy with the photo's but here's what i managed to scrounge up.  I just spent all day working on a new bellows for a charcoal forge. I was using a propane forge for those ones posted, but It's a dirty forge and I want to get back to charcoal (it's my favorite). My propane forge eats metal... not really sure why, maybe it's oxidizing... but I really cringe while working small thin things in it.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 11:43:53 am »
those are incredible ;D, i hope to be able to make something like that once i get a better forge working
noel

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 03:25:14 pm »
I get the feeling your forge work will catch up to your bow work soon enough, fishyboy.  I've noticed you tend to set the bar pretty high for yourself and go at it with spurs and quirt!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 03:10:43 am »
Where are you located? 

How do you set the taper?

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 12:31:19 pm »
me or cbert?

Offline Cbert

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 02:38:15 pm »
I live in Yuma, AZ. I set the taper by.....     I may misunderstand what exactly you're asking for so I'll try to be thorough.  Maybe it's best to briefly describe what i do.  I take the straight stock...(preferably long enough to avoid using tongs in the beginning) and I work the socket first.
I hammer a bit at the end to start flattening it into the beginning of a fish tail. I then uses my cross pien to spread it side to side. (this is very necessary when i use the 1/4" stock as there is little to go around....pun intended.)  (If it's rebar i will likely have to cut excess off with a simple chisel).  Anyhow I spend a substantial amount of time flattening the socket material starting from the inside and working my way out to the edges..... this takes me quite a few heats. After I have the basic fish tail shape I use a dull chisel (on occasion... not sure if it matters honestly) to put a dent in the junction between the fish tail and the rest of the square stock.  Long wise of course....    Then I take the fish tail to my vise where i use a small gap in the jaws to initiate the socket. Starting at the very apex of the fish tail I hammer the crap out of it while turning making sure that symmetry is followed. I basically work from the top of the taper on the socket on down to the bottom very slowly with kind of like a bit of some sweeping-like strikes  all the while rotating the piece. Kind of like drawing it out but gently as not to crush the socket. As I'm doing this the junction or apex is right at the edge of the anvil and my hammer is usually at an angle. With the rest of the stock hanging off the anvil it does not get struck and therefore remains quite thick.  The neck continues to be drawn out making a natural tapered socket to bulbous point. So to sum it up it's just hammer work.... hard at first..... gentle at the end.....giggety. I usually finish the socket with a quick use of my ghetto lil' mandril (it's a piece of the same stock the i filed down and stuck it out of a log). Just to insure the inside of the socket is aligned and trued up.  (also this is the point (while on the mandril) you can align the rest of the stock behind the socket.... basically make sure that the stock and mandril line up like they are one piece or in the end you'll have a point that has a gangster lean and is not lined up behind the arrow. (don't know if any of that makes sense).  Then the rest is cutting it from the stock and finishing out the point which is quick vigorous work.  A lot of the time the hammering of the actual point can bend things out of alignment so i always finish the point by truing it up and putting it on the mandrel one last time to make sure its' all lined up. I use three hammers (big and small ball pein and a crosspien), long needle nose for tongs, and a file to finish the points.... that's it really. If I wanted a sharper transition between head and socket there are many ways to do so, one being a spring fuller, but alas i am a simple smith.

Hope somewhere in there you got your answer, let me know if it didn't.

-Cbert-
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 03:20:12 pm by cbert »

Offline Hunter Van Winkle

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 10:45:14 pm »
Nice.