Author Topic: Vanes vs feathers  (Read 4412 times)

Offline Bigbadad

Vanes vs feathers
« on: October 03, 2011, 11:48:43 am »
Hi all!
I've just ordered a bunch of Duravanes and some plastifletches, to try out on my wood shafts. Does anyone have any experience with plastic on wood as opposed to feathers?
If it isn't fun, don't do it!
British by birth, English by the grace of God!

Offline tenbrook

Re: Vanes vs feathers
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 11:56:56 am »
Most of us around here shoot of the shelf and prefer Feathers over Vanes.

Sorry but I have no experiance.

Good luck.

Tenbrook
"Indian makes small fire, sits close.
White man makes big fire, sits far away."

- Stalking Wolf

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 12:00:14 pm »
Unless you are shooting off an elevated rest you may have poor arrow flight with plastic vanes.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 12:03:29 pm »
plastic vanes will not work with trad bows (especially selfbows) if you're shooting off your fist or a small rest. feathers will collapse enough to not effect arrow flight, where plastic vanes will not. save the plastic for wheelie bows with shoot through rests and trigger releases.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 01:20:40 pm »
Unless you are shooting off an elevated rest you may have poor arrow flight with plastic vanes.

What he said.  Now if you are using an elevated rest, you should be ok, apply them just like you would feathers, w/ tape of glue.

(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 01:33:40 pm »
plastic vanes will not work with trad bows (especially selfbows) if you're shooting off your fist or a small rest. feathers will collapse enough to not effect arrow flight, where plastic vanes will not. save the plastic for wheelie bows with shoot through rests and trigger releases.

...furthermore the creatures of the forest will point at you and laugh, young squirrels will call you names, and the reindeer will no longer allow you to play in any reindeer games. 

But from a more philosophical point of view, I am wondering why you were looking into plastic vanes with primitive archery gear?  I'm not being judgemental, even though my sense of humor runs to the sarcastic side and all.  If it feels like I am pointing fingers at you, point right back at me and tell the whole forum about how I just ordered a set of arrows from Tom Braun and they have plastic nocks!  I'm asking because I have no knowledge of archery outside of primitive, I started primitive and have not evolved. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 03:52:01 pm »
The price can be right on plastic, but it can be right on turkey and goose feathers as well. I prefer el'natural. The plastics will probably fly funky for you. Maybe look into trading them or selling them and buying some feathers.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 06:11:38 pm »
Plus if you shoot off your hand your knuckle will look like minced meat after a couple of shots... (don't ask me how I know) :)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 06:14:21 pm »
Plus if you shoot off your hand your knuckle will look like minced meat after a couple of shots... (don't ask me how I know) :)

x2
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 08:21:33 am »
With wheels I use plastic (blazer) vains on carbon, feathers on aluminum ...but with trad.even more importantly primitive you need, nay, must use nature s flight aid ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 11:00:35 pm »
  It won't work your arrrow flight even sucks with and elevated rest.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 09:31:05 am »
....primitive = feathers

Offline Scowler

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 09:38:28 am »
Vanes aren't primitive.