Author Topic: Making straight detachable sockets.  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Making straight detachable sockets.
« on: October 12, 2011, 03:29:26 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdO1Y30xoVs&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

I'm looking for tips on how these sockets are formed for the  takedown tips.  I've been trying to work out this sort of detachable head concept for an arrow for a while.  Seems like the usual bowfishing head looses allot of puncture power by design.  The toggle head is popular with spear fishermen and it works well.  Little drag going through.  I used to use a pole spear from my kayak but the learned to stay just out side of range.  I've had fish get hit and end up 1/2 up the 7' shaft.  If you are lucky the back is broken and they don't fight.  They do that also to save getting the pole spear levered and bent as the fish fights.  the tip detaches and doesn't allow the fish to exert much leverage on the spear when it takes off.

I'm thinking that a slimmer design will get better penetration on huge carp are greater distances.  The head will toggle sideways and not mess up the meat much.  Asian carp are not much different from COD in texture or flavor.  Super white large flake meat.  One of my favorites.  Buffalo are also good.  Smoking them is a favorite of mine then the meat is used in omelets or a potato based soup, or just eaten with crackers and cream cheese.

I digress.  I'm determined to make a "primitive" fishing arrow similar to these.  Will the bamboo hold up to it?

The design I'm considering is a section of 3/16 spring steel rod that will be filled with notches, coated in epoxy and inserted into the Boo.  then lashed in with artificial sinew and coated in epoxy with a touch of black craft paint mixed in.  I'll leave the shaft protruding maybee 6" then fit a section of antler over that.  Possibly with the matched tapers?  I need a way to keep it from falling right off but it needs to come off easily enough.  Antler will be drilled for the toggling thread and slotted for a metal or stone cutting insert.  A barb at the back of the tip will ensure detachment.

Offline Tom Leemans

Re: Making straight detachable sockets.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 04:04:25 pm »
Now that was cool!