Author Topic: Hickory Pyramid Bow Length?  (Read 11986 times)

Offline Tim B

Hickory Pyramid Bow Length?
« on: July 13, 2007, 10:14:46 pm »
Does anyone have any advice on building a 58" pyramid bow from hickory? Is that length too short with a 1 3/4" fade out to a straight taper of 3/8" nocks???

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory Pyramid Bow Length?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 10:16:45 pm »
What draw length and weight are you shooting for?    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 10:25:08 pm »
Do pyramid bows bend in the handle? If it does that would get ya closer to a safe design, but I havent built any of that style. I have a few pcs. of hickory like that so Im curious bout it too. Good luck.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 10:30:57 pm »
  If you take the working limbs all the way to the handle or even into the handle a little it might make it. Add sinew and the answer is yes. ;)  I made a 66" hickory pyramid bow, 2" at the fades and a straight taper to 3/8" tips. I tillered it to 28" and I've seen it drawn to 30" with no ill effect. 58"x 1 3/4" is another matter all together. Take your time and give it your best shot.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 11:25:58 pm »
There might be a little thump but if your tips are thin enough and arrow heavy enough and a big buck walks in your shooting lane, you won't feel a thing! ;D  Pat

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 12:06:13 am »
Amen Brother!! ;).....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 12:46:19 am »
The only 60" hickory bow I've built is sinew backed. That bow(Massey Medicine Bow) has pull 30"and still shoots well...if the humidity isn't too high! ;) I made it for 26" draw but tillered it to 28".  You could leave the limbs wider most of the way out before tapering to the tips but the pyramid style,when well built, distributes the stresses evenly through the limb so its a draw. Do you live in a high humidity area? Lets hear what others have to say.    Pat

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 01:03:51 am »
Tim, I think I know you but am drawing a blank putting a face with yur name. Your bow will likely make what you are looking for but take more set than I think is good. I have made quite a few little hickory recurves similar to what you are taliking about and they are decent shooters, The sinew sugestion is good. The more you recurve the tips the more set the bow will take so keep that in mind. Steve

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 01:32:48 am »
Tim, r/d designs are great for short bows, just as long as you have enough wood, with your hickory bow 1 3/4 is a little on the tight side for 60#, but nothing wrong with your design ideas, Steve

Offline Dan Perry

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 05:04:42 am »
I have made some nice modified, bend in the handle, plains style bows with a 58" hickory stave.  Sinew backed, 5" handle, 1 3/16" wide, (bends but is a little stiff and flat in tiller) 2 1/4" fades into 1 3/4" wide limbs, tapered to 1 5/8" at mide limb for 60# at 28",
tapered from mid limb to 5/8" at the nocks, then retapered the last 8 inches to 3/8" nocks.  This is a sweet little sinew backed bow.

The sinew will usually pull the tips into a little shallow recurve.  Other than that, I don't recurve this. 

Was there any particular reason you wanted it Pyramid?  As far as looks go, I like this willow leaf design better.  The narrowed bend in the handle design with working fades is a bit tricky to tiller, but it makes tuning the arrows to the bow easier.  Leaving the handle a little stiffer, keeps it from overstraining, while giving you the extra 2 inches of draw you needed to get to 28"  It will be months before you get rid of all of the moisture the hickory picks up.  In Cal. I would let it cure 3 weeks min. before tillering it and working it.  1 month is better.

Dan

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 01:26:03 pm »
Tim, hickory and ipe are very different, I would do both, I make what i call a modified pyramid, similar to what Dan described, shaped like a willow leaf is no a bad way to describe it. I start off paralell to mid limb then taper to the tips, as I tiller I reduce the sides according to what is needed or allowed, it will almost always end up being almost pyramid in shape. Steve