Author Topic: hickory recurve  (Read 1673 times)

youngbowyer

hickory recurve
« on: October 12, 2011, 09:57:15 pm »
This is my second attempt at a recurve. I need help with the tiller. I think the top lim needs to bend more but there is also a knot right where the black line is. How can I fix the tiller or should I leave it? Specs are 60'ntn and 50" at 26".

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: hickory recurve
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 10:04:50 pm »
You almost have a hinge in the bottom limb and the top limb looks a bit stiff. Can you flip the bow to see how that looks at full draw? Overall the bow looks good.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 10:35:37 pm »
Wow!  Nice bow.
bottom limb looks to be bending more than the top right outside the handle.

youngbowyer

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 11:17:57 pm »
You almost have a hinge in the bottom limb and the top limb looks a bit stiff. Can you flip the bow to see how that looks at full draw? Overall the bow looks good.
your right it does look like a hinge but when I flip it over it doesnt. I'll get some pics of it on the tiller tree and flipped around

Offline johnston

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 12:00:15 am »
Top limb doesn't bend til 7" or so out of the fades then it really bends ..almost hingy looking.

YB listen to these other fellers not me. I like the bow it just ain't finished yet.

Lane

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 07:37:59 am »
I would scrape the middle 1/3 of the top limb just passed the knot and the first 5 or 6 inches and last 2/3 of the bottom ,being careful to leave the weaker spot on the bottom limb alone. Just a little scraping,looks pretty good to me. How much set has it taken,and are you keeping it good and dry when you ant working on it.
A unstrung profile might help also to see what it should look like at the knot.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good