Author Topic: Draw length inquiry  (Read 1908 times)

Offline paleryder

Draw length inquiry
« on: October 12, 2011, 03:45:05 pm »
Gents,

I am planning to make a bow for a friend who lives in another state. I asked for his draw length but he did not know it.  He went to Cabelas and they measured him using a compound bow. The measurements (several were taken) were from 24.5 to 25.5 inches. They told him this was the arrow length.

They then measured him again after telling him to put his dominant arm out and then touch his breastbone. The results were 29 inches.

Okay, what gives? I know nothing about compound bows, except I suspect they are Decepticons disguised as archery equiptment and are just waiting to take us over. Is the draw length different on compounds than a traditional bow? If not, why the difference in lengths?

Your help here is appreciated. I might try and send him to an archery range that still has longbows or recurves for rent. Thanks.

Todd

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Draw length inquiry
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 04:45:54 pm »
My local Cabelas also has some decent recurves on the shelf.  Have him go back to Cabelas and ask them to measure his draw length on a recurve.   That should get yo into the ballpark. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline dbb

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 08:41:39 pm »
usually you have a longer draw with a compound due to a more closed stance,for example I had 29 1/2" with the compound and 28" with a "real" >:D bow.
A pretty good measure is from the top of your breastbone at the hollow below the throat to the tips of your longfingers with the arms straight forward and the palms together.

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 08:42:10 pm »
Plus- if he's using a trigger device (not sure what they are called), that takes about an inch off the draw.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 08:47:09 pm »
I read somewhere that you can measure your draw by extending out your hands and claping a yard stick withthe end in your sternum.  When I do it I get 28".  When I got myself measured I got 28".  Later I went to a Bass Pro and drew a Bear Montana with a ruller arrow and it came to 28.5.  So I think the yard stick trick works pretty well.

Offline johnston

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 09:38:38 pm »
Decepticons...he..he..he.

Height in inches minus 15. Divide by 2. Puts you real close.

Lane

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 07:51:26 am »
The yard stick works pretty good,most folks I have seen change from CB to Traditional loose about 2 inches.Say 29 TO 27  :) A lot depends on the style of shooting they do. :) :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline paleryder

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 11:03:47 am »
Thanks, Gents. You've given me enough info to work out.

Todd

Offline dean

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 11:11:24 am »
This is the method I used to determine my draw length:
http://www.huntersfriend.com/draw-length-weight.htm

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 01:02:28 pm »
i just did math in my head for johnstons method and that puts me at 27.5 (im 5'10"=70").  Which iv been measured to have 27.5-28 so that seems like it is a good estimation!
Aim Small...Hit Small