Author Topic: novice arrow maker  (Read 3814 times)

Offline mspink

novice arrow maker
« on: October 06, 2011, 02:45:13 am »
Alright got a scenario for you arrow pros out there... Have fun.... Ok, I know that spine is very important.... But what is going to make the most difference in arrow flight...... All arrows spined at 60 lbs but varying in grain weights in the range of 475 to 675. Or All arrows at 575 grains but varying in spine from 50lbs to 75lbs, just wondering which would make the most difference.
Aim small miss small!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: novice arrow maker
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 10:59:59 am »
For my bows spine is the most important. The wider the handle the more the attention to spine. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Scowler

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 11:42:54 am »
I've found that spine is more important than weight.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 11:55:56 am »
Spine , spine, spine. The arrows physical weight will only affect trajectory, the arrows spine affects its flight. Erratic flight is bad news, especially after you glue a broad head on.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 02:19:34 pm »
Hmmm...I'm kind of surprised by the answers.  IMO, arrows of very different weights will be more "spead out" on your target than arrows with very different spines.  Many ancient arrow makers didn't even measure spine.  They matched weight and point of balance.  As long as the weight is forward and the fletching is adequate, spine is not much of an issue.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 02:53:41 pm »
Different weight arrows will be spread out on the target, but they will all be stuck in straight and fly well due to matched spines. Varying spines will whack the riser, fly sideways, porpoise and everything else under/over spined shafts do. If spine was no concern we wouldnt need a plethora of spines to choose from for specific draw weight and lengths.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 04:36:15 am »
 Spine your bow can shoot any wait well. But bows well not shoot any spine well.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

FAW

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 10:43:37 am »
Spine would be my first consideration and that can be affected by the weight forward of centre. The foundation has to be spine and the variables of good flight can then be enhaced by "tweaking" the length and weight forward. As has been mentioned here, trajectory is only the result of the natural gravity reaction to weight - the heavier the missile the more trajectory. Spine can be altered by arrow length, draw length and weight FOC but the important and main considersation in my opinion is the foundation: Spine 

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 02:02:24 pm »
This never gets old. (heehee) ;)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 08:02:53 pm »
spine
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 07:40:39 am »
Spine,what FAW said. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 07:47:26 am »
You could be right Patrick,I wasn't there so do know for sure ;) ;D ;D But I suspect they tested them some kind of way before going to all the trouble to build an arrow,may have just been by feel,it has been my experience that if the spine is off very much and you don't tweak it some by weight forward or length of shaft that it don't matter how much feather you put on the back it ant going to fly very good or very accurate. JMO.  :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 12:31:49 pm »
 SPINE
  A bow will only shoot the right spined arrow. But will shoot any weight the arrow maybe.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING