Author Topic: vermont cane  (Read 6785 times)

CHUCKER

vermont cane
« on: July 03, 2007, 10:04:51 am »
I am new to arrow building of any kind, but find myself very interested in cane arrows. I have found several large patches of cane growing along I-89 in north west Vermont. I was wondering if anyone has used this type for arrows with good luck.
     The cane grows 6 to 7 feet tall and is 5/8 to 3/4 DiA.. at the base, with nodes 7-1/2 to 8 inches apart. ???

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: vermont cane
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 12:15:15 pm »
Chucker, There are cold hardy bamboos. The only thing I could tell you is to cut some and try it out. The cane I am familiar with has a 3 year growing cycle(for each culm[shoot]). You do not want to cut the first year growth. It has fresh sheaths at the nodes and is usually bright green. After the second year is the best time to harvest and until the older canes turn olive green to tan. By the time it gets to tan, its too late, they have started to deteriorate.
   Go cut a mess of the cane and put them into bundles of similar canes and observe them as they dry. It will be obvious which ones will be useable.   
  Do you have any pics of the individual canes and the patch where it grows. That might help ID it.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

CHUCKER

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 03:49:14 pm »
Thanks for the info pat B. I will try to take some photos tomorrow.

MattE

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 09:08:18 am »
Good arrow cane doesn't grow north of virginia. I have trouble finding a good patch of arrow cane in N.C. and we have some of the best. There is bamboo that thrives in a cold climate but it isn't what most would call arrow material.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 12:16:29 pm »
If its the same stuff I found in NY last week then its useless, no strength to it at all.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 12:22:13 pm »
Chucker, It looks like an annual(dies back each year) grass to me. If that is the case, it probably wouldn't make good arrows.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

CHUCKER

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 12:33:59 pm »
Your right! on looking closer and letting a couple samples dry for a week it looks like grass. I also checked with an old farmer how told me that his mother used to call it broom grass.
     Anyhow I want to thank you all for your time!

Broken Arrow

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 02:07:10 am »
Probably whats reffered to as scouring rush.  Everyone around here calls it bamboo.  I think its worthless, but have been tempted to experiment with it.