Author Topic: What can I use to take a coat of Tru Oil off my arrows?  (Read 1525 times)

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
What can I use to take a coat of Tru Oil off my arrows?
« on: October 11, 2011, 05:03:22 pm »
I put one coat of tru oil on my viburnum hunting arrows last night.  I dont like the lingering smell and want to use pitch varnish to seal instead.  Does anyone have experience taking off tru oil?  What should i use that also doesnt leave a lingering smell on my arrows?

Any tips are greatly appreciated.  I hope to finish these tonight!
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: What can I use to take a coat of Tru Oil off my arrows?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 05:10:17 pm »
I have removed Tru-Oil with a scraper on bows but fine sandpaper or steel wool should do the trick.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 05:20:34 pm »
the smell goes away after a few days, sometimes it takes up to a week depending on the humidity.  Pat's right steel wool or fine sandpaper.. just be careful with the sanding so you don't lower your arrow spine.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 05:26:49 pm »
Or you could simply put it out in the sun and air for a couple days that is what I have done.  My bows are covered in the stuff and it doesn't seem to bother the deer now that the bows have sat out for a couple days also.  Good luck.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 05:36:35 pm »
Its worth letting it dry down in my opinion.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 07:04:45 pm »
Ok thanks guys!  I just used fine steel wool and sandpaper to get most of it off.  Im gonna make some varnish up for these two arrows.  I want to hunt with them this weekend so thats why im going this route.  I will def give Tru Oil another chance in the future when they have plenty of time to dry.  Iv nothing but good things about it
Aim Small...Hit Small