Author Topic: What kind of finish?  (Read 1685 times)

Offline WolfPupTee

• You don't understand what I'm doing, but I do.
    • The Artis Den
What kind of finish?
« on: October 12, 2011, 07:32:32 pm »
HI guys. What kind of finish does everyone use? Specifically if you use a type of polyurethane, what kind?
Plays With Bow and Arrow

Offline Ifrit617

Re: What kind of finish?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 07:35:45 pm »
I use tru oil on most of my bows, and a minwax water based poly on my arrows and atlatls.

Offline WolfPupTee

• The Artis Den
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 07:37:20 pm »
Does tru oil feel greasy afterwards?
Plays With Bow and Arrow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 10:13:45 pm »
Tru-Oil dryes hard but flexable. I've used it on bows for years...and some arrows too.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 10:15:40 pm »
No.  It's not greasy at all.  It is a gunstock finish.  It is a high gloss finish.  It takes multiple coats.  Some walmarts carry it.  Gun shops or a sporting goods store should have it.  A small bottle is around $7-8 and will do several bows.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 10:37:53 pm »
I havent tried true-oil yet.  I use Danish oil then a coat of Deft or Shelac, followed up with a coat of paste wax for minor water proofing.

How is true-oil for for water proofing?  I plan to use my bow from my kayak.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 12:52:55 am »
Water beads up on a Tru-Oil finish. I have sat through many rain storms with my selfbows and never worried about it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline colt

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 03:26:52 am »
i use a combination of linseed oil and a home made oil-poly blend. with red oak or walnut, i'll give it a good bath in linseed oil. it soaks it up pretty well and takes several applications before it is saturated. once saturated, i'll rub on the poly blend which is very similar to tru oil. it soaks in the surface and dries hard. additional coats will build up a film. three is usually plenty and i go with light coats. with ipe i go directly to the oil-poly blend. the wood is already oily and very resistant to moisture. the finish just serves to seal it a bit more and add a nice look to it. i haven't used other woods a whole lot. 
the recipe for the blend is pretty simple. mix 1/3 each of linseed oil, polyurethane(i used minwax gloss), and mineral spirits. i use it to finish most of my wood projects.

Offline WolfPupTee

• The Artis Den
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 05:17:38 pm »
Thank you.
Plays With Bow and Arrow