Author Topic: Riser wood combos  (Read 6023 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: Riser wood combos
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 03:46:41 am »
Palm is lovely.  I wish I could get some.  I like the contrasts.  Holly is nearly stark white unless it's infected with a fungus.  Yellow heart could look cool.

Fro accent wood I raid the local woodcraft or woodsmith shop turners section the pen turning blanks will give several tip overlays or arrow rests but are a tiny amount of money.  They are usualy MORE per square inch than bigger chunks but absolute dollars spent is lower which works for things like African Black Wood, cocobolo, Paduke, and the various Ebonys. 

Cocobolo has a nice rich red color and black grain.  Other woods can be turned black by brushing with india ink.  Furniture finishers will use black powder pigment and rub it into the open grain of some woods, then sand lightly and finish.   Gives a neat finish also.  Personaly I like to let the natural colors of the wood shine.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 03:44:46 pm »
NTD- I got some nice scraps of burly black walnut left over from making exhibition grade gun stocks.  One peice is extremely dark with some of the most beautiful grain I've ever seen.  I'll try to put up a pic next weekend if your interested.  Josh

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 01:02:25 am »
Pau ferro when oiled goes almost black.

that is a sweet tip design.  How wide is that?  In the photo it looks almost pencil wide!.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 02:09:14 am »
Mesquite would look amzaing NTD..

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline bubby

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 04:23:43 am »
try going to a local cabinit maker, around here they have a trailer that they throw the scrap in and haul it to the dump, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 11:48:38 pm »
Desert Ironwood from Mexico is dark with some nice grain. I have some.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline NTD

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 07:34:53 pm »
Wow, revived old thread and I missed the revival, sorry guys.  Well the themed bow was going to be for the trade bow but that's one I screwed up so I ended up building another one minus the theme.  Thanks for the suggestions guys, once I get back into the swing of things I still have a piece of that skin left and would like to make a real dark bow for myself so I will take your recommendations into consideration.
Nate Danforth