Author Topic: First Recurve (non-wheelie) Kill, First Buck with Recurve, First Deer of Year!!!  (Read 5120 times)

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
I accomplished a lot of firsts today as you see from the title! I was hunting on same land that I saw the bear on last week. This time I was about 15ft up im my climber. I was just below most of the branches of the trees so I could see further with all the leaves still on the trees. I was hunting with my Bear Grizzly recurve, Traditional Only arrows with woodsman broadheads. About 7:20am this morning I saw four does walking on edge of the cutover. They came to 40 yds behind me but no shot oppurtunity.

About 7:45 I look up and I can see a deer coming in my direction about 60 yds to my front. I stood up and got in position. However I could only see about 25 yds to my front while standing because of all the trees so I could no longer see the deer. I waited expecting for it to appear at any minute. I caught movement to my left after a couple minutes. There was the doe closing fast! I had to reposition a little for the shot and then I saw two more deer behind her. I caught sight of antlers on the second one. By now my heart was pounding out of my chest knowing they were coming down the trail that runs 6 yds to the left of my stand. I had a shot opportunity on the doe first but waited because this buck was a couple steps behind her following her every move.She walked closer and closer and as she reached my shooting lane on the trail......she looks right up at me!!! The bucks vitals are blocked by a big pine tree a step behind her. She knows this "blob" isnt usually in this tree. She bobs her heads up and down and side to side as I hope with all my being that she doesnt spook. For some reason the buck never looks up. He has his head to ground. She takes a step and repeats the staring and head movement. By now I think Im about to have a heart attack! I only need the buck to take one more step to clear a couple branches. I put all of my concentration on him and ignore the doe. As he lifts his leg to take a step I draw back. As soon as my middle finger touched the corner of my mouth I let the arrow fly. I could see a spurt of bright red blood as the arrow entered high. He ran off to my front and I heard a crash then like 2 seconds later I hear a second crash 100 yds out in the cutover to my left. I could actually see the small tree shaking from my position. After everything went quiet I started to shake lol. Adrenaline rush was overwhelming. I waited 30 min then climbed down and started the blood trailing. I will let the videos tell the rest of the story.  The first shows my view from stand and focuses on where the deer was shot then where it ran.  The rest show the tracking job.

Click on the pics to go to videos!

This was by far the hardest blood trailing I've ever encountered.  It took 1.5 hrs because the buck ran into the 5 yr old cutover.

Thanks for reading!

Oh yeh heres the money shot :)
In the pic you see the exit wound.  It was a double lung shot, entered high and back and angled up to exit where you see.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 11:46:47 pm by CherokeeKC »
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
That's a good story. Patience paid off for you. Nice buck!

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline sonny

Congrats Kenneth !!
cool story and a fine buck!
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Way to go!!  Two thumbs Up on keeping your cool under presure.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline ErictheViking

congratulations on a nice deer.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline lowell

Those does can definately test you.  Good job on keeping your cool 8).....at least till after the shot!! ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
Thanks guys!  Right now im staying with a friend so I couldnt keep the deer and didnt have anywhere to butcher it.  I gave it to the people that own the land and let me hunt.  They have fallen on hard times and they said they could use the food.  I helped them skin and butcher it and kept a backstrap for myself :)  They are even gonna tan the hide.  Im so thankful everything from the deer that could be used was.  I decided not to go for an afternoon hunt.  I didnt want to be greedy :)
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Stoker

Congrats on your first.I remember mine like it was yesterday.A kind gesture to give it to someone that can use it fully.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Congrats,nothing like the first. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
Thanks Leroy and Pappy!
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Congratulations on your first!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Big A

Good job. That will stay with you a long time.
Big A

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
Thanks guys!  Yeh Big A, i remember every detail of every single successful hunt.  "Its a gift and a curse" lol
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline soy

• pm106221
nice!!!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...