Author Topic: Osage Ring  (Read 2545 times)

Offline MLombard

Osage Ring
« on: October 08, 2011, 06:46:11 am »
Hello..I'm new this forum and have a question for you  expierenced guys.  I've made Hickory bows and have just started to work on a Osage bow.  My question is how to ya tell when you hit the Ring on the back of the Bow Stave.  I know I'm very close but, I have never seen it done and have noone to turn to for help up here..Thanks.

Offline Dean Marlow

Re: Osage Ring
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 09:44:05 am »
Keep taking the light colored sapwood off and you will start seeing the yellow gold underneath. When you get to it you will know with what ever you are using to scrape with. Usually the heartwood is much harder. Look at the end of the stave and you should be able to tell if you have most of the sap off. Like I said it will turn yellow on you when you get to the first ring.

Offline WolfPupTee

• You don't understand what I'm doing, but I do.
    • The Artis Den
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 10:54:54 am »
Check out this link from a previous post on here. It's a close up of how to chase a ring.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8aRn9dXxE0

Plays With Bow and Arrow

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 11:01:05 am »
I keep this link bookmarked for such occasions. It shows indepth with words and lots of pictures.

http://peteward.com/Articles/Ferret.osage.buildalong1.htm

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 11:02:48 am »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline MLombard

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 12:33:53 pm »
Hey, Thanks for all the help guys..you have no idea how much I appreciate this..

Offline Postman

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 01:12:24 pm »
Great links, guys, and good luck ML!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline dmc

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 02:19:58 pm »
I keep this link bookmarked for such occasions. It shows indepth with words and lots of pictures.

http://peteward.com/Articles/Ferret.osage.buildalong1.htm
Blackhawk, this was a great link, I bookmarked it too.
Carpe Diem- Seize the Day!!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 10:58:30 pm »
Hey, Thanks for all the help guys..you have no idea how much I appreciate this..

Oh yes I do!  I clearly remember the frustration.  I also remember the first osage ring I hit and pulled out flawlessly.  Clouds rolled back, a beam of pure white light illuminated the stave, the wind died down, birds landed in the trees nearby and were hushed, the crickets even stopped.  I could hear harp music and the rustle of angel wings just over my shoulders.  So I went and cracked a can o' barley pop.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline WolfPupTee

• You don't understand what I'm doing, but I do.
    • The Artis Den
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 02:58:05 pm »

Oh yes I do!  I clearly remember the frustration.  I also remember the first osage ring I hit and pulled out flawlessly.  Clouds rolled back, a beam of pure white light illuminated the stave, the wind died down, birds landed in the trees nearby and were hushed, the crickets even stopped.  I could hear harp music and the rustle of angel wings just over my shoulders.  So I went and cracked a can o' barley pop.
lol nice
Plays With Bow and Arrow