Author Topic: Which Would Be Easier To Work?  (Read 5442 times)

tradrick

Which Would Be Easier To Work?
« on: July 20, 2007, 01:55:33 pm »
Hey guys,just spoke with a local cabinet maker who says he might have some hard rock maple and maybe some oak boards he could sell me.Which would be easier to work?Would I need to back them with anything?These bows would be for my daughters and I would be shooting for about 20 and 25#of draw weight.Thanks tradrick

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Which Would Be Easier To Work?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 02:20:41 pm »
I would base my decision solely on the quality of the wood.  I would take a good piece of lesser wood long before I would take a bad piece of osage.  You can get away with a lot if you back it, but I would still get the best grain, least runout, least knots, least early growth I could. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

canopy

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 03:58:33 pm »
Just my opinion, but you should always back 'em for kids. Besides all the "normal risks", you just don't have control over how they'll be handled, bumped, dinged, used in sword fights and such.

Keep safety high on the list of priorities with kids bows!

canopy

canopy

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 04:06:29 pm »
Oh yea, I'd use the oak; but only cause I have never worked rock maple! Send me a piece and I will let ya know how works out!

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 11:37:55 am »
Kids will do the darndest things with bows. So be safe. the Oak would be my choice, but if the Maple looks good have at it. Keep us informed . Heck I might want to try some maple.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

tradrick

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 12:44:28 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys.It looks like I'll be useing the maple.When we compared the oak and maple the cabinet maker and myself both agreed that the maples grain looked the best.The cabinet maker cut the board to the length I wanted and ripped down the center and cut shorter pieces for the handle.When I asked him how much I owed him?He said you just go make those girls some nice bows.Super nice guy and very friendly.I'll be building these from the board bow directions on the Ferrit's website.And thanks for the advice on backing them for safety's sake.I'll deffently do that.Any suggestions on what would be a good backing?Hickory,bamboo,linen.Thanks tradrick

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 01:04:22 pm »
Linen is easy and available at fabric shops, use titebond 2 or 3 to glue it down
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

tradrick

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 12:23:09 am »
I really like the linen idea.Since these bows are going to be for my girls.And there favorite colors are red,blue and pink it'll make it easier to find something that suits them.After you glue up the backing do you put a protective coating over the linen.If so,what is recommended.Thanks tradrick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 12:52:56 am »
I like Tru-Oil but any spray poly will give you a nice finish that will protect the bows. That would probably be the easiest to use and find.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 08:58:55 am »
You can spray paint the linen any color you want and as Pat said true oil works great
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 09:07:14 pm »
  Another good web site for board bows is Jawges.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?