Author Topic: black cherry as a bow wood?  (Read 2255 times)

youngbowyer

black cherry as a bow wood?
« on: October 05, 2011, 11:08:29 pm »
I have 2 splits of really straight grained black cherry with no knots. Is this stuff suitable for a bow. I have heard that it can make a fast shooting bow. Im thinking 1 3/4 inch wide at the fades tapering down to an 1'' at midlimb then tapering to 3/4' or just a pyramid design.  I will chase a heartwood ring. Will this design require a backing. I might do this as my Christmas Exchange bow so would a rawhide backing be smart just to play it safe?
Thanks,Tom.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 11:15:29 pm by youngbowyer »

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: black cherry as a bow wood?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 11:52:32 pm »
i asked the same thing a while ago, it will make a good bow, but needs a backing to be safe(i think) i would go hickory or maple to give it a cool fake sapwood effect and ass preformance
i hope it works out as i have some staves coming from a tree that needs to come down soon ;D
good luck
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 12:02:13 am »
If you can get cherry to hold together and not chrysal or fail completely, it makes an excellent bow. Cherry has excellent hysteresis properties.
It is good to back it, but not with something that will over-power it like hickory or bamboo. I've had decent success with rawhide, and thin maple. Keep it a bit wider, and it should be fine.

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 12:22:20 am »
Rawhide back that stuff and make a longbow out of it.  Good, pretty wood.  I envy you the nice straight stave.  Most of what I have near here is all limby and twisty from growing out in the open.  Got my eye on a couple in the wood edge that are mostly tall.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 03:49:03 am »
  Going by the job you did on the last osage bow you posted, this cherry project of yours should be pretty sweet.  You did an excellent job on that last one.  I am really interested to see how it turns out.