Author Topic: hole in wood  (Read 2546 times)

Offline Blacktail

hole in wood
« on: October 04, 2011, 09:04:39 pm »
I am working on a bow that is yew wood and I have a knot hole that is hollowed out and goes all the way through the wood. It is 3/8 wide, the hole that is. Should I fill in the hole because I plan on putting snakeskin backing on the bow?  Thanks John

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: hole in wood
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 09:17:59 pm »
I'd leave the hole there snakeskin over it and when it dries cut a hole in the snakeskin.  Make it look more more interesting...  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 09:40:33 pm »
I agree with josh

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 09:54:52 pm »
My experience with yew is very limited to a couple of bows. You need someone who does have more experience. Typically those areas with knots and holes are left a bit wider. I'm not sure  you have enough wood to keep that stave from breaking. You might consider a Dutchman's plug which is simply a piece of wood placed in the hole but wait for better advice than mine. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 10:08:55 pm »
it would look good with a whole in the snake...but,i am just try to make the bow survive...George,there is 1/2 inch of wood on one side and 5/8 on the other...since i want to put snake on it..i am thinking of super glue and shavings to plug the hole...john

Offline sonny

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 10:21:59 pm »
if you're seriously considering plugging that hole you're much better off using a dowel rather than shavings.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 10:52:07 pm »
Usually the bow is laid out leaving that area wider with enough would that about equals before and after  the hole. That doesn't sound like enough because and here is the main point...that area is weaker than the surrounding area above and below. You may need a glued in hardwood plug that fits perfectly. That may involve drilling out the area round but again wait for someone who has more experience with yew than I do like Del who makes some beautiful yew bows. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 11:15:28 pm »
Like a river flowing around an island, there should be equal amounts of wood width to either side of the knot (combined), as there is above and below it.  It appears that your limb lines run straight.  I would install a hardwood plug.  What I've done in the past is make a plug out of yew wood, for the yew bow.  My shape was right on, with no gaps.  It looked nice.  In fact, this bow had two plugs.  If not, a hardwood dowel would be my recommendation rather than the shavings and glue.  If you're thinking survival, go with the plug.  Your chances are much better.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 11:20:56 pm by MWirwicki »
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 11:36:34 pm »
LOOKS like we are plugging the hole..SO,matt you are saying yew wood would work fine...john

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 11:48:38 pm »
Works for me! 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 04:14:07 pm »
Blacktail,

I just finished up a yew bow that is 46 ntn and draws 51# @ 23". It has two holes in one limb and I did not plug them. I skinned it with Moccassins and cut the skin from out of the hole after it dried. I have put a few hundred shots through her and she shows no signs of any problem from not pluggin the whole. I didn't get any good pics of the holes but posted some pics of the bow a few weeks ago.

I think it would fine just to leave'em. JMO

Stiks
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 05:35:15 pm »
Plug it, with a piece of Yew.
It will probably survive without a plug, but are you building a 'looking a't bo' or a 'shooting' bow?
If it's a shooting bow, plug the hole especially as you don't have any extra width across the bow at that point.
Here's one I did earlier... smaller plug, but it gives and idea.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.com/2011/03/more-yew-longbows.html
Del
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 05:40:31 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.