Author Topic: Limb set  (Read 4027 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Limb set
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 03:35:43 pm »
You cant remove set, its compressed wood. You can steam/heat other areas and try to set the handle back or relfex the limbs some, but the set damage is there to stay. Its not a big deal unless you can brace/unbrace your bow without bending it, I have seen a few bows not far from that! Enjoy your bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 09:46:17 pm »
 I don't know about Texas, but that's the "nature of the beast" using hickory in Florida. That's why I use it for cooking ::).  With the humidity hunting in the swamps down here, I've watched a 40# bow lose all of it's cast. Keep it in an airconditioned room till you are ready to shoot it, don't worry about the set and have fun
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Tower

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 10:33:13 pm »
That's what I love about this forum. Always great advice,& people! Thanks for the help!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 10:48:29 pm »
I have an osage stave that I turned into a bow.  I steamed the stave three times.  One limb stands relatively straight, the other has 1-1/2 inches of set.  Tried dry heat also.  Every time I "fixed" it, it held for a few days then went right back.  the stave was cut 15 years ago, quarter split, debarked and sealed on the back and ends.  It just wasn't meant to be with that stave.  By the way it shoots like a dream.  My niece is gonna love it.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline adb

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 12:10:33 am »
Don't sweat a little bit of set!  ;)

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 12:39:54 am »
i dont think i would steam straighten a bamboo backed hickory unless you wanna reglue it

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 12:41:38 am »
i dont think i would steam straighten a bamboo backed hickory unless you wanna reglue it
he could re glue with some glued and steamed in reflex
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 01:01:58 am »
Ken and fish; you can use Urac and not worry about it,,, too much, if you don't get carried away.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 03:13:21 am »
Leave it and enjoy it! 8)

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline nyarrow

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2011, 11:30:46 pm »
If it were me I would leave it as is and enjoy it as my first bow. The sentimental value and original condition will be more valuable to you in years to come than removing any set.  Not to mention the benefit gained is not really worth the risk taken.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 01:17:27 am »
amen to what nyarrow said.

eddie ive never used anything but titebond ,it steams apart real easy. i guess i should broaden my horizons and try some different stuff. maybe on the next hundred , im runnin outta folks to give em to though

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 01:18:43 am »
amen to what nyarrow said.

eddie ive never used anything but titebond ,it steams apart real easy. i guess i should broaden my horizons and try some different stuff. maybe on the next hundred , im runnin outta folks to give em to though
ill take them ;D
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Tower

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 12:05:47 pm »
I wnnt to thank everyone for the advice. I guess a little set is to be expected at times.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 12:39:49 pm »
"She shoots better than my Bear Montana .".....You made an excellent bow.  Enough said.     ;).   
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 06:03:57 pm »
  Set is crushed wood cells once it's there it's there. All wood bows take some set. My bows uselly stays under and inch. But wood is wood and untill you tiller it you don't know. Set robs cast and speed but as long as it's not over 2 inchs there uselly fine. Over 2 and you can and feel and see  the sluggishest. But that dos'nt stop it from being a nice bow. Just not as good as it could be.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING