Author Topic: Limb set  (Read 4024 times)

Offline Tower

Limb set
« on: October 05, 2011, 12:30:04 am »
This last July I built my first bow. Its a bamboo backed Hickory longbow 68" . I named it the "Witcher" she's 40 lbs at 28". She shoots better than my Bear Montana . Unfortunately she has a 1" & a 3/4" set in her limbs.she has a nice profile when strung & pulled back. I ask all the Boyer's out there if there is a way to keep the set from happening? Maybe its that she is only 1.25" wide at the grip. I found a horse apple tree this weekend while hunting ,& I plan on harvesting it for my next bow. Don't want to mess this one up! HELP PLEASE!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: Limb set
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 12:33:33 am »
for a first bow, 1-3/4 isn't that bad, some of my bows still have that much, if it works, don't worry, you are your own worst critic
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 12:41:22 am »
Thanks! I was surprised at how well she shoots. To tell the truth I half expected her to break when I started shooting it.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 12:59:30 am »
Tower,
      I know it aint popular, but personally I dont get very excited about set in a bow......with the follwing provisios. It's not a "creeping" problem (continues to get worse), the bow has good string tension at a proper brace height, and that the bow has symetry at brace and full draw.
      I have a bow that a friend on this site gave to me because he was all bummed out about the fact that it had some set.....well that bows bow shoots exceptionally well, it's well mannered, and very reliable.
       I think ya ought to shoot the snot out that baby, and enjoy it. If the set bothers anybody, guess they dont have to look,eh?
rich

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 01:09:18 am »
Anything under 2" is fine and to be expected.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 01:25:19 am »
Enjoy your bow. Set happens. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Tower

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 01:53:56 am »
I want to thank everyone for their advice! I thought I had a real problem.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 04:32:12 am »
Set (some) makes for a pleasantly shooting bow, in most cases.be proud( YOU MADE IT!!!)and not everyone can say that ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 05:46:47 am »
How about a pic of the bow?  I have been toying with the idea of building a bow but it seems like a serious undertaking and I need to aquire some tools first.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 08:42:15 am »
I agree with the rest, shoot it,sometimes they are even smoother to shoot with a little set. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 09:53:40 am »
This will also help put things into perspective.

I just got done running a contest if you had not noticed with red oak board bows. And the winning bow was the bow that had the most string follow(more than yours)   and it was the fastest, best built,smoothest,accurate,and forgiving bow of the bunch. I learned a thing or two that day. String follow isn't bad if its not excessive over 3" 

So what's most important is how well you can place an arrow with the bow. Because that deer is not gonna care what your bows unbraced profile is.

Offline Kpete

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 12:47:47 pm »
Sounds like you have done well-you have a bow that gives you a thrill when you shoot it.  It exceeds the commercial built bow-that is exciting.  I actually think a bow with a little sting follow looks cool unstrung.
Good Job

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 01:11:43 pm »
the easiest way to build a no set bow is to overbuild it , but then a bow designed more efficient with "some" set is just that , faster, flatter shooting ,and easy to handle. as long as the set doesn't come from weak spots in your limb design i would not stress less than two inches . just know that you have achieved a low mass design that is efficient. and last but not least have fun with them and dont stress the small stuff

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 02:06:59 pm »
Tower get out of here what are you doing building bows?  If i could see what you mean I could help a little more,  if the bow has a lot of set and you are concerned, you could take out some of the set by steaming the limbs and straightening out the bow.  I have that problem which isnt really a problem with a few of my hickory bows, I just leave it as it is, it shoot good and has a smooth draw.

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Traxx

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 03:30:47 pm »
As has been mentioned,some actually preferr a bit of follow in their bows.