Author Topic: Flippin' tips late in the game?  (Read 3223 times)

Offline snag

Flippin' tips late in the game?
« on: October 03, 2011, 01:58:12 pm »
I have been tillering an osage bow and was starting to think that I'd like to flip the tips a bit. Is it too late for that (I'm just about done with tillering) ?   
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Flippin' tips late in the game?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 02:11:39 pm »
You can flip the tips anytime. Be aware that when you do you add extra stress to the limbs so be sure everything else is good before you bend them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 02:38:51 pm »
I agree with Pat. I have flipped tips on bows that had a 1000 shots through them. I flipped the tips on an oak board bow that was several years old. It will add some draw weight and early string tension.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 04:44:05 pm »
how long after flipping do you guys usually let the bow re-hydrate before string it up again?  I usually wait 4-7 days depending on the amount of heat gun I have to put to it to get it to plasticize the wood and get it to bend.  Thoughts?? 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 05:00:45 pm »
I usually flip the tips early in the process so I don't pay attention to the time line. Depending on the R/H at the time at least 3 or 4 days for rehydration.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 12:03:19 am »
I've waited just until the limbs cool again.  Heck maybe an hour or two?  I thought, "Hey, when it's cool, its cool.  Not gonna get any cooler."  Never thought much about rehydrating.  Food for thought....
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 12:46:52 am »
Matt, even if the surface is cool the core of the wood can still be warm enough to relax the bends when stressed.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 07:15:31 am »
I usually do about like Matt,sometimes over night if I am not in a hurry. ;) :) :) I usually flip them when I am about finished tillering,It make them easier to get the
first brace  if they aren't flipped and I have never really seen a difference from doing it early or later on. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 08:48:37 am »
I let osage cool a few hours max and I let whitewood cool over night.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline johnston

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 12:08:30 pm »
Ok, got a flipping question.

In the TBB (don't remember which volume) it says that flipping the tips might not be worth it as to performance and just might be a detriment. Yet most PA gurus do it on the majority  of their bows or so it seems. So what is the straight skinny on this ? Looks, performance ? What ?

Lane

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 12:15:26 pm »
Performance,smoother draw with less stack due to the change of string angle. :) :) :) That is the main reason I do it,especially on shorter bows. :)
Never seen it hurt one,unless of course you break it while trying to flip them. ;) ;) ??? I have had that happen and that kind of stinks. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 12:55:26 pm »
Johnston they are referring to recurves in that chapter, not so much tip flipping. I agree with Pappy, never had a bad experince with it. I either flip or recurve every bow I build anymore. The early string tension is worth it to me.

Offline snag

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 01:19:30 pm »
So how flip is going to be good for a 66" ntn bow? Do you just put enough in that the string contacts the limb a few inches?
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 01:25:01 pm »
Flipped tips shouldnt touch the string in my opinion David, recurves do however. Trace a half 5 gallon bucket on a 1 x whatever you have laying around. Cut that half circle out and bore 1 1/4" holes through for c-clamps. That diameter will give a fine flip tippin size. You can adjust by starting the tip at different points on the circle.

Offline johnston

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 01:32:25 pm »
Thank you Pappy and PD. Pearlie you are correct they were referring to recurves.

snag I thank you for starting this thread.

Lane