Author Topic: feathers and homemade broadheads on carbon shafts??  (Read 8867 times)

Offline Rick Wallace

feathers and homemade broadheads on carbon shafts??
« on: October 04, 2011, 01:17:40 pm »
I know its not traditional,but will it work?? I have some carbon arrows,I dont have funds for good wood shafts,I tried dowels,but I'm nervous about them coming apart on me. My bows are hickory,one is 40# @28  the other is 43# @ 28,,  basically the same,,  I took a small length of dowel and glued it into the end of the shaft  to have something solid to haft onto. Am I way wrong?
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Dazv

Re: feathers and homemade broadheads on carbon shafts??
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 01:21:42 pm »
I know nothing about that carbon stuff but with a 40lbs bow you will be fine with a dowel just make sure it has straight grain. Sorry that was not what you were asking.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 05:06:09 pm »
Spent a couple hours making one, I guess I answerd my own question!  It works great!  I have never used feather fletching,,the difference is surprising,,thats all ill use from now on!
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Dazv

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 06:00:50 pm »
Im glad it worked for you!!! feathers are the way for trad or primitive bows

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 10:21:52 pm »
Thats what ive always read,,just couldnt get those feathers right. I t dont help since I cut off the end of my finger last year,,Im all thumbs!!  I think i got it now,
 8)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 10:31:42 pm »
 Rick, as you found out, vanes don't work on Trad or primitive bows without a raised rest. you can cut and slice the end of carbons and mount stone or Trade points like you would with a wooden arrow. You can glue it in without the small piece of dowel. Just wrap it good to hold the point on and for at least two inches behind the point down the shaft.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 11:38:12 pm »
I just finished up mounting the points,I glued them in then separated some strands of art sinew and wrapped them up.I surprised myself! they look good!  Tomorrow ill get the feathers on,I prepped them today,this will be the time consuming part,but well worth it!

youngbowyer

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 09:35:07 pm »
Feathers are neccesary on trad bows. I'm shooting traditional only carbon arrows from 3rivers and my shooting has improved a lot.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 01:06:49 am »
You don't have to split those carbons just to haft on points. You could always haft 'em onto an aluminum broadhead adaptor and remove them when you want to shoot field points.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 05:26:47 am »
Sawfiler,I have never seen those,,where do you get them from?  I got my arrows done,made a job out of flectching but I think they will work,first time with feathers,lots of learning still to go. I shot one and they fly ok,just need to tune a little

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 10:32:54 am »
Rick, they are slip on adapters. You can get them from Three Rivers.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 03:05:25 pm »
OK, I guess I didnt see those the last time I was lookin on there ill look again

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 02:25:44 pm »
I tried dowels,but I'm nervous about them coming apart on me.

I use nothing but poplar dowels from lowes. If you give the dowels a good bend around (I do anyway to try to guess at spine) and they don't brake, I figure they'll be ok. They always seem to for me regardless of grain. (But I do shoot way over spined stiff arrows, so that may be a reason for them not braking.)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 02:29:25 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair