Author Topic: Carp skin pics...  (Read 7017 times)

TurtleCreek

Carp skin pics...
« on: October 02, 2011, 05:27:20 pm »
  Just thought I would share some pics of a few carp skins I have prepped.  They are the common carp/yellow carp.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Carp skin pics...
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 05:37:38 pm »
Man they look sweeet.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 07:40:12 pm »
They are sweet Del. He sent me a set as a gift in a trade, (thanks again). AMAZING color and detail in these skins. They will sit right in my shop desk drawer until I build a deserving bow for them. The pictures do do them justice. He did a perfect job preserving and prepping them. I think they may have enough resilliance to protect the back some, almost like very thin rawhide.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 08:55:27 pm »
So those skins are from the "normal", common, everyday Carp that are all over the place and not the sexy looking Grass Carp?

Man, if I had only known...had some friends that shot a ton of large Carp this summer and they just used em for garden fertilizer  :'(
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline paleryder

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 09:11:08 pm »
Very nice. Would you give us specs (length and width)?

Do you know what was done to preserve them? I just e-mailed my fisher-friends with a carp alert.  ;D
I'm telling them to freeze them if it's not possible to get them to me right away. Thanks.

Todd

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 10:35:13 pm »
So those skins are from the "normal", common, everyday Carp that are all over the place and not the sexy looking Grass Carp?

Man, if I had only known...had some friends that shot a ton of large Carp this summer and they just used em for garden fertilizer  :'(

I put a ring of them around my peach tree and haven't had peaches like that since I was a kid and dad planted a peach tree on the doggie doo dump spot (Parents had a kennel).

I've now prelined the spot I'll plant tomatoes next year and hope to get some more for where I plant the squash and pumpkins.

Offline Kpete

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 12:44:52 am »
Nice looking skins. Wow.  How long were the fish to start?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 12:48:09 am »
Turtl, I cant help but remember the bow that Mark made with some of those skins. I would love to get some of those if you areable I'd sure love to trade something for a set.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 03:32:17 am »
  Yup, those are just the common ol' carp, I like to call "The Rock River Salmon."  The strips in the pics are 14 to 15 inches long and 2 to 2 1/4 inches wide.  The 2 fish I got them from, I didn't  measure exactly.  All I can say is that they were an inch or two longer than a 5 gallon plastic bucket.  I will be heading out on my next days off to try and get some more, might be a good opportunity to do a "carp skin prep along."  I kind of developed my own method of doing the skins, so I will have to post that step by step when I get some more.  Hopefully I will get lucky on the river and be able to get a good supply,  I will let ya'll know when I do.  Thanks for all the comments.  Also, glad you like the skins Pearl Drums!

TurtleCreek

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 03:36:14 am »
  You got it Keenan...  pm sent

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 09:21:27 am »
Sweet skins,I done a Hickory with them on it once,very cool and also adds some
protection  like rawhide because of the thickness of the skin. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 10:16:21 am »
 They are SWEET
  I've none carp twice they lokked really nice.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Kpete

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 12:45:34 pm »
Thanks for the info, and I would like to see your technique for making such nice square skings-carp are not shaped that way.   How do you make the splice and secure it on a bow limb?  Thanks again for sharing the pics

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 12:52:20 pm »
Yo can splice them ,just be careful to try and line the patren up.I glue them on with TB3 ,wet them and work them the same as rawhide or a thick snake skin. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dazv

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 02:54:30 pm »
oh my god i love these skins so much we dont kill carp in the uk as they are our biggest sport fish and they are all owned.