Author Topic: newbie questions about board bows  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Blacktail

newbie questions about board bows
« on: October 01, 2011, 01:41:46 am »
i am a new guy to board bows and have some questions...i just found out a store here sells hickory boards..i found some that  the grain is straight from end to end...so would the board still need backing....and about the handle area..i want to glue some other wood to the handle...so,does the wood need to be longer than the 4"handle and into the fades...thanks john

Offline Hrothgar

Re: newbie questions about board bows
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 08:45:55 am »
John I've only done a few board bows. The ones with bad grain violation I backed. The hickory boards, if not violated shouldn't need backed, at least not with wood. A 4 inch handle with 2 inch fades should be fine. Are you going to cut in an arrow shelf?
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 10:53:09 am »
Yup,it should be fine unbacked if the grain is good ,and id personally leave it unbacked. If you wanted and needed more peace of mind then you could put silk,burlap,etc....on the back.

As far as the handle goes it will depend on how thick and long your board is. If its 3/4" thick then you can glue on three 1/4" pieces all at separate stages and keep your bend away from coming into the fades. If its an inch or thicker then you can glue on one piece of wood and also keep your bend and stress from coming into the fades. BUT,id personally not glue anything and make it a slight bend thru the handle, and then fill the handle area with shoe insole or leather then wrap that up with a leather wrap.

Offline johnston

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 11:40:13 am »
John you are not a newbie to bow making and a board bow is just that..a bow.

All of my finished bows have been made from boards. Haven't made but 10 so am not qualified to give advice but can share my experience such as it is.

Hickory is used as a backing for other bows and does not require one when used for a self bow. Granted that there are always exceptions but a selected hic board should be fine. I do trap the belly.

Handles seem to be up to the boyer. Very knowledgeable people have said (on these hallowed pages) that the handle should be 4", others say 8". Also have read that the handle should go on late in the process or at the beginning. Take your choice. As for me my first step is to glue on (TBII) a 6" piece , and clamp over night . My handle is worked to shape as I am doing the rest of the bow. Actual grip area is about 4" when finished. Have never had a handle problem of any kind in my limited experience.

Really wish I had a local store that carried hickory wood. For me it is primo.

Lane

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 10:18:05 pm »
use a 9 inch piece glued on for the handle, that gives you plenty of room to feather out the fades, that's how i do it and i build lots of board bows, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 11:55:02 am »
Can you show us a picture of the grain? Just the face will do. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!