Author Topic: Will red oak make Reflex/Deflex bows well?  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Will red oak make Reflex/Deflex bows well?
« on: September 28, 2011, 12:57:20 pm »
I'm considering trying some red oak for a R/D bow.  If there are issues with using Red oak for that sort of design I'd rather not waste the time, glue and bamboo.  The bamboo is expensive for me becasue I need to get it shipped to a few miles past the middle of nowhere.

I'm not thinknig terribly deep R/D.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
Re: Will red oak make Reflex/Deflex bows well?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 02:11:30 pm »
Red oak and bamboo have been successfully paired, but I gather that bamboo and red oak are not an ideal marriage. 

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,8780.msg125136.html#msg125136

Now, if you want to add the R/D component, with the additional stress that places on the limbs, you might be asking a lot of red oak as a belly wood.  Not saying it can't be done, just a word of caution.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 06:45:46 pm »
I agree with Ross...

Offline johnston

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 06:56:42 pm »
I am far from knowledgeable but in my limited experience red oak and heat do not do well together. Of course that could be my fault.

You did not say whether you were thinking board or stave and that might make a difference but personally I would not want to risk a bunch of time and work on it unless it was one of those that you aren't really attached to.

Remember that I don't know much and take with a grain of salt.

Lane

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 01:51:02 am »
Thanks guys.  I was after the color and trying to save myself a hour drive to pick up wood.  Looks like I'm headed to town this weekend.