Author Topic: Fade question  (Read 1655 times)

TurtleCreek

Fade question
« on: September 28, 2011, 05:16:21 am »
  When blending the fades of the riser/handle area into the limb, should the end of the fade go past the widest part of the limb if making a pyramid style bow?  I read that the fade should be feathered or blended into the starting limb thickness about 1/8th to a 1/4 inch past the widest point.  What do you guys think?

mikekeswick

Re: Fade question
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 05:32:17 am »
I'd go for a 1/2 - 1 inch then you've got something to work with. The only thing to watch for with a pyramid is too much bending out of the handle so this is a wise precaution.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 07:32:22 am »
I generally mark center, mark two inches each way for a four inch grip, then two more inches from the end of the last marks for the fades, that's where the wide part of the bow is, then straight taper from their, Bub
the pics a little blurry but hope it helps
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 07:36:49 am by bubby »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 09:55:52 am »
From what I've read, theoretically, in a pyramid bow the thickness taper should be even or parallel from the fade to the tip. However, with the ones I've made thereis a gradual taper going slightly past the fade point. Are you using a board or a stave, this can make a difference too, due to the changing crown or dips that likely occur on the back of a stave.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 02:11:39 pm »
  Right now I am roughing out a stave of white ash for a sort of Modoc style bow.  The back of the stave is clean with no knots and basically flat.  Although I do plan on using a hickory board in the future.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 04:08:54 pm »
  Thanks for the pic Bubby.  Even though it's a tad blurry, it clears things up for me:)