Author Topic: First bow - vine maple- splice issue  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

First bow - vine maple- splice issue
« on: September 28, 2011, 03:29:29 am »
Hi all, longtime traditional guy, new to primitive bows, first bow build and first forum post.  OK...I am trying to splice two vine maple billets, and while test-fitting a splice, I caused a crack in the crotch of the receiving end of the splice.  At present, the crack is about an inch long (doesn't show well in the attached photo but it is there.  My question is whether or not this is worth gluing up, or is the crack destined to grow? I plan to use Urac 185.

Thanks in advance, and I hope you all had more luck with your fall hunts than I had/have had.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Gordon

Re: First bow - vine maple- splice issue
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 03:41:11 am »
Put some superglue in the crack and glue up the splice and I don't think you will have any trouble.
Gordon

mikekeswick

Re: First bow - vine maple- splice issue
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 05:36:06 am »
2nd that!
Make sure your splice fits virtually perfectly. Once it's as good as you can get it then steam the ends for 20-30mins assemble and clamp firmly until well cooled. Take apart and you have a perect fit!