Author Topic: 1st Point...this stuff is kinda fun!  (Read 3012 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

1st Point...this stuff is kinda fun!
« on: September 25, 2011, 11:58:19 pm »
Well, I had a nice long clovis style point going...it was about 4" long and being new to this and not being careful, a misplaced bopper stroke pretty much made me try and salvage what I had into an arrow point.  This material is some slag or slab type of art glass, it has a rootbeer tint to it and I'd like to find some more.

Anyway, here is my 1st point...75 grams (don't have a grain scale)  Enjoy~

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Re: 1st Point...this stuff is kinda fun!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 12:13:41 am »
Cool point, Lee!  Keep at it!  Before long, you'll be good at it and maybe we can work out some trades.   :laugh:
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 01:02:16 am »
Hey  Rice Crispies that looks good!

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 10:52:52 am »
Not bad Lee. Looks like some good learners material as its already thinned downed with it being slab glass. Wait till ya try reducing some oblong piece of real rock. Then the fun(cussing) really begins. Lol ;)

I've been too busy the last two weeks to get back at it myself. Opening day is this sat for us.

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 11:03:15 am »
Not too bad for a starter point.Try applying more pressure inward to get them flakes to travel a little longer. That point will hunt!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 12:11:54 pm »
That is some pretty glass there Lee. I haven't found anything but ancient mud balls up here around GR for knapping. Rain out yesterday. Went to the lighthouse in Holland just messing around. Good looking point!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 01:00:49 pm »
Thanks guys...Tower, I appreciate the tip!

Hey Cowboy, you are still in town?  Get in touch if you can, would love to hang out, knapp or whatever.
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 07:27:08 pm »
Will do. Usually when i have any time off it's on a week day and pouring straight down. So how do ya go about catching a steelhead or Salman?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 11:30:12 pm »
Cowboy, week nights work fine for me...I can have ya over here or I can meet ya somewhere too.  The Steelies / Salmon I've caught were/are always off my 8wt Fly rod.  I usually head north about 30 minutes from GR and hit the big river up there.  Most of it I can wade or access from the shoreline...it can be fairly crowded but if you get there early and hike a bit up or down river you can find a hole or two to yourself.
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 07:17:59 am »
Congratulations!!! I broke mine into 4 +pieces I really stink at knapping, but you sir have a beauty of a point color a.d shape in my book ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 03:16:39 pm »
Thanks Soy, wish I felt that god about this point  ;D I tried another yesterday but all the "wheels" came off and I couldn't strike the stone and get what I wanted to save my you know what...oh well, practice, practice, practice.
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold