Author Topic: Scraper?  (Read 5572 times)

Offline Arrowind

Scraper?
« on: September 24, 2011, 10:49:15 pm »
I think it's time for me to finally get a scraper.    I've used a pocket knife, a fixed blade knife, even box cutters.... but I think I want to actually get the tool...

Would you please recommend a good one?  I'd like to hear what you've tried and what you prefer...  Thanks in advance!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Scraper?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 12:57:21 am »
A half pair pf scissors sharpened with an Acusharp scissors sharpener works really well.

I like a Mystic longbow scraper pretty well. I have a Bowyers edge as well, cuts good but I have never been able to get the chatter out of it when I go over a change in the grain direction.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 12:59:29 am »
You can buy a set of scrapers with 4 or 5 different ones like the regular rectangular, one with concave edge, one with convex edge and a gooseneck...for less than $20. Look at Lowe's, Home Depot or other tool stores or you can order a set from Grizzley Industries.
  You can also make a good scraper with old saw blades or even a cheap pair of scissors taken apart to reveal 2 scrapers.
You beat me to the punch, Eric!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 01:13:40 am »
my favorite scraper right now is the handle on my buck hatchet, its one of te one where the head goes all the way through the handle, i love the way it feels scrpping over a piece of yew ;D
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline johnston

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 01:26:12 am »
Took an old flat file, big one, and ground an edge on one side fairly steep. Then put a stone to it and fitted a hickory handle to the tang. Super two handed scraper that really moves wood.

Also use the Mystic scraper from 3Rivers though I felt raped when I bought it.

Lane

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 01:39:33 am »
  I use and glass out of and eye glasses works really good in those dips where straight metal scrapers can't get. If the backs flat I'll use a metal scraper.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 01:54:58 am »
I use three. 
(1) is not used that much but it's a krenov style wood plane set with a 55* cutting angle (I think,  check the angle at HNT Gordon planes).  At that angle you can turn the blade over and it becomes a scraper.  I made it so It has chip release issues.

(2) a plain rectangle card scraper.  You don't need an expensive "burnisher".  The side of a quality screwdriver works just fine. 

(3) My favorite is a paint scraper blade.  They come two ways.  The kind tha you can turn over and spin around to give 4 cutting edges.  NOt that one.  I get the cheaper one from a true value that only has one blade and then on the other side is a curled under bump bent out of the metal.  I file it so that it's NOT square but a verrrrrrry shallow arc.  Like 1/16 comes off the corners and there is a slight flat right in the center.
I mount that on a spokeshave like body that is super simple to make.  It gives great silky cuts in nearly all woods.  It sharpens easily also.  I just use wet dry sandpaper (after it's filed to shape) glued to a thick piece of acrylic or the screwdriver shaft to create a burr.

(4)  I also cut detail scrapers from old hacksaw blades.  Use a carbide cutting bit and then grind or file them to shape.  Then set the edge as you would on a card scraper. They work super well.  If you have any older machine or metal shops around the blades from a "power hacksaw" are great but they may send them for sharpening.  Those will be much bigger.  The dull blades from a sawzall work realy well also.  You are after the metal quality and type.  So don't get hung up on "it must be a hacksaw blade".  My favorite is a shallow bulge cut that also has like a katana point on it. 

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 11:25:48 am »
If you decide to start using scrapers you'll need a one with a curved blade to help with the chasing rings that dip up and down on osage. I use a set of shave hooks. I also use a Swedish push knife as a scraper. For years, I used and old meat cleaver. The picture shows my drawknife, shave hooks and push knife from top to bottom.  Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 12:38:24 pm »
It's hard to beat just a plain old card scraper that is properly sharpened.
Gordon

Offline dbb

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 12:53:26 pm »
I use both a card scraper and a similar pushknife as George.
The pushknife i use on "bigger" jobs where the cardscraper gets a bit too hot to handle.

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 03:31:34 pm »
Eric Krewsons' 1/2 scissor scraper is very hard to beat.  I tried it and it works great.  I have the exact pair of scissor scrapers that Eric is showing.  I got them from Wally World, they got dull quickly and ended up in the junk drawer.  I took them apart, burnished the edge with a screwdriver handle, (Eric showed me how to do that also) and they work great.  So, if you have an old pair of scissors that are dull and don't cut, recycle them into scrapers.  Bill

TurtleCreek

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 04:59:14 pm »
A red devil paint scraper works well too.  Not the "putty knife" or "spatula" type or what you would use for spackle, but the kind that has the two blades on each side of the end.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 08:25:05 pm »
Hey Guys,

I really appreciate all the comments.  It's so much more helpful to ask people with experience to get some Idea of what to do.
I think I will probably try the scissors Idea to start since I think I already have a pair that would be good candidate for that. Once I have a some extra cash I'll try the other recommendations as well.

Thanks for all your advice!

Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 09:22:05 pm »
I have a Mystic scraper and love it to pieces. The curved ends work knots well, and its easily sharpened with a bastard file.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 01:41:16 am »
I paid $1.89 for my favorite scraper blade new from True Value.  Came as a pack of two.  the Red devils would also work I guess but I like the spokeshave body I made. 

I'd like to figure out how to use that blade on more of a hand plane body for the leveling scrape.