Author Topic: Need bow scale advice  (Read 3369 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Need bow scale advice
« on: September 23, 2011, 06:40:38 pm »
Who can recommend a good bow scale and what the price might be and where I may find one?

Thank you,
Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
Re: Need bow scale advice
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 06:48:34 pm »
I just use a luggage scale I found at Walmart. It goes to 80#. It has worked fine so far, and was less than $10,but I do prefer the bathroom scale method.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 07:00:32 pm »
I picked up a scale from our local Tractor Supply Co. It was around $45 and goes up to 110#. Looks very similar to this:

Pros: goes up to 110#. seems accurate as tested against bathroom scale (but is that scale accurate?).

Cons: very hard to read weight because it has kg and lb and the numbers are too small. Heavy. Noisy when exercising a bow on the tree.

I really wish I had something easier to read from a distance but I guess this works. Wouldn't recommend it since it seems like there are better options out there...

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 07:49:28 pm »
I use a fish scale. It only goes up to 50 lbs, but I consider any bow above 45 lbs a success since that is the legal hunting weight around here. I'll probably invest in a better one sometime but that works good enough for now.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 08:31:21 pm »
Luggage scale.  Mine was < $10.00 and goes to 80#.

Walmart.

Offline johnston

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 10:36:19 pm »
Fish scale from WallyWorld around five bucks. Goes to 50#and is accurate to within 50#.

Lane

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 12:24:59 am »
I just use a luggage scale I found at Walmart. It goes to 80#. It has worked fine so far, and was less than $10,but I do prefer the bathroom scale method.
Mark

I have the dial (about $10) and the digital ($16) They both read the same so I'm assuming they are accurate.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 12:32:03 am »
Did you see mine when you were in the shop Mr. C?  It looks just like Matt's picture.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline dmc

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 01:50:08 am »
I purchased a brand new scale from ebay for $12, which goes up to 110 pounds. It's distributed by JN Distribution Inc. and the model # is CHIS1772. It's a round face scale. Have not tried it yet though. Still trying to get all the crap out of my garage to make some bow building room. Good luck with your finding one.
Carpe Diem- Seize the Day!!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 06:20:44 am »
I had a real cheap fish scale which went upto 110#.
It was fine but tricky to read. So I bought one with a dial (from an online fishing store) ... much easier to read and it shows better in photos too.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 07:08:21 am »

Fish scale from WallyWorld around five bucks. Goes to 50#and is accurate to within 50#.

Lane
[/quote]

That is the best line I have heard today....accurate to within 50# ;D  ;D   ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...