Author Topic: Second Planting  (Read 7103 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Second Planting
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2011, 09:20:10 pm »

Kpete; I framed this garden in with pressured treated 2x4's. In the summer I cover it with shade cloth and in a bad winter I enclose it with clear plastic and put a series of lights inside to raise the temperature. It didn't do any good two years ago when we had two weeks of temperatures in the teen's or low thirties.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2011, 03:50:43 am »
Mullet nice garden!!  those pics explain why the conquistadors named your state Florida which means in bloom.

We have had the same weather George talked about. Last months water bill was $260 just trying to keep our trees from dying.
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Kpete

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2011, 01:48:26 pm »
Mullet,
I used planking and boxes to turn a "worthless" slope into a veg garden.   Soil was poor enough that lawn would not grow there.   After a few years of mulch, manure, compost, the soil is pretty good.  I started the boxes as carrot boxes with 2 parts soil, 2 parts sand, 1 part peat moss, and some composted manure.  IT is amazing what will grow this way.  We always struggle with frost dates.  As late as June  and as early as late August.   Rasberries and turnips grow well.  Leaf lettuce and cabbage.  Some years brussel sproats.  Tomatoes are always iffy, peppers struggle.  Rarely winter squash and melons, both of which are my favorites of course.
Keep diggin'
Kirk

Offline Badger

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2011, 10:17:20 pm »
   I couldn't believe you were growing pinapple! Is that from a seed, wonder how it would do in so cal?

Offline Badger

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2011, 10:45:05 pm »
  I alwasy thought the bottom of a pineapple was sitting on the ground with the roots comming out and holding it in place. LOL

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2011, 10:56:41 pm »
Steve;

The pineapple is an air plant. I started all my plants by buying a pineapple in the store or the Farmers Market. You cut the top off and either throw it on the ground or bury the meat portion shallow. Just water it for a few days to get it established and it's maintenance free. If the leaves get a little yellow I just pour some Miracle Grow on the tops. These are growing in full sun and in crappy sand.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2011, 11:01:16 pm »
     Badger, Florida, used to be a major pinapple producing state, till a really bad winter hit.  They should grow well out in So Cal.  Just buy a pinapple, and cut the top off, and stick it in the ground about an inch and a half or so.  Keep it watered.
There are seeds, but few and far between.  They are in the little hole sections on the peel.  I have some, but have not planted them yet.  Got enough pinapple plants around here as it is.  The darn squirrels eat them, but the population is dwindling.  My cat, is a phenomenal hunter!  Unfortunately, that includes birds!  He got another squirrel, and a mocking bird.  They aren't nesting, now, so he must get them while they roost.  Anywhoo, go get you some pinapples, and cut the top off, and grow your own.  It will take a year or two to get fruit.  You should be able to buy the plant at "Home Depot, or Lowe's", or just about any nursery even some with the fruit started, or ready. ;)

Wayne

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2011, 11:13:04 am »
Very cool eddie.
Looks like some nice soil for FL. Wish I could grow some of those tropicals.
Time to get in my winter garden also. Not sure what I will start. Lettuce, broccoli, spinach for sure. Probably a few other things like garlic and some root veggies.
I still have tomatoes coming on and I planted a couple more tomatoes in Aug so I should have them right up til the first hard frost in late Oct or nov.
My sweet potatoes are like balloons sticking out of the side of their hills now. about time to haul some of them in.

I read an interesting thing on curing sw potatoes recently. you have to cure them for approx 5 days after picking in approx 80 deg F temp. then they will last all winter. Guess it allows the outer skin to set and really improves the taste.

Wish I could make chris's this weekend but its not gonna happen. you all have fun and kill something big.
later
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere