Author Topic: How do you rig up a tillering stand?  (Read 7962 times)

Offline WolfPupTee

• You don't understand what I'm doing, but I do.
    • The Artis Den
How do you rig up a tillering stand?
« on: September 23, 2011, 02:11:18 am »
Because I don't have one but I'm thinking I can use my dresser by cutting little nooks in the corner of it inch by inche. What do you guys use when you don't have an actual stand?
Plays With Bow and Arrow

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: How do you rig up a tillering stand?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 02:13:33 am »
i took a 2x4 and cut notches in it then i place it in a vise to temporarily hold it
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 10:31:28 am »
I use the pulley system.  It is just a 2x4 mounted to a wall with a couple of pulleys and a rope.  It should cost less than $10 to make one.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lowell

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 11:20:38 am »
I originally made a 2x4 with notches in it but put a pulley and a rope on it and rarely use the notches now....would a picture help?   I'm home sick today and have time :'(
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 12:15:06 pm »
I took a 2x4 and marked all the lines on it. Then I put another piece of wood on it just at the top, only about 6" long, I bolted that to the top, that's just for a place for the bow to sit and hold it in place. Then I screwed that board into a 4x4 post on my fence in the backyard. Then I put a pulley into the railroad tie on the ground that shapes out my patio. Luckily I have an understanding wife who was worried about my safety.  >:D

~Barry
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline lowell

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 02:26:55 pm »
Like I said....I have some time today.  Hope these pics help. 

You can also see the notches in the 2x4 that I used to use.

The scale is just hanging there in the pictures but I put it between the hook of the pulley and the bow string when I want to check weight!!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 04:08:31 pm »
If you use the 2 pulley set-up, you get a mechanical advantage and it reduces the amount of force needed to draw the bow on the tree.

Offline lowell

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 07:31:18 pm »
outlaw....maybe that's why my bows often end up light!!! :laugh:

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 09:11:34 pm »
I had issues finding a pully that didn't turn in sloppy increments.  I have a similar stick with the belly section cut away so that the string comes straight under the bow.  Then I drilled a small hole at my increments  and them.  I drive a screw with an unthreaded section into the apropriate hole.  Work the bow down to that then leave it there for marking and evaluation.  As I work I lower the screw.  I used to use a peg system but I've had the peg break or get plum pulled out.  Oh the hole is drilled at an upward angle.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 09:23:19 pm »
outlaw....maybe that's why my bows often end up light!!! :laugh:

Might be ;)

I highly recommend the two pulley system.  Pulling a 50 lb bow only takes 25 lbs of force.  That really makes a difference when doing a lot of limb exercising.

Offline WolfPupTee

• The Artis Den
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 02:14:48 am »
I first saw the pulley method on youtube and I love the idea but I don't have a 2 by four or pulley or anything really lol which is kind of nutty so basically I ended up tillering using my body only. Sat on the floor, braced the handle on my foot, straighten my leg and pulled the string back and forth checking for bend (this is when flexibility comes in handy). It bends pretty evenly considering the flaws in the wood. There's slight limb twist but nothing worrying.
Plays With Bow and Arrow

Offline SA

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 05:08:18 am »
you know if you don't want to (or cant at the moment) build a tillering tree you could try standing on the handle and pull it towards you(carefully) it would keep the string better centered....i saw a youtube vid of a guy that tillered his that way in the field. just a thought, i hope you build your bow and i cant wait to see it  finished .
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 05:17:41 am by sa »
Shawn Acker

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 07:25:40 am »
Outlaw -would you be able to post a pic or two of the two pulley system?re doing the shop would love to see it
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 04:18:33 pm »
WolfPupTee you say you dont have a 2x4.  They only cost a couple dollars at home depot or lowes.  I would go get one and cut notches in that instead of your dresser.  Your profile says your in VA, where at?  I live in chesterfield just south of Richmond.  Oh and I see your female, I think thats awesome that your getting into making bows and stuff!
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline WolfPupTee

• The Artis Den
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 06:05:07 pm »
WolfPupTee you say you dont have a 2x4.  They only cost a couple dollars at home depot or lowes.  I would go get one and cut notches in that instead of your dresser.  Your profile says your in VA, where at?  I live in chesterfield just south of Richmond.  Oh and I see your female, I think thats awesome that your getting into making bows and stuff!
Wow CherokeeKC you are pretty darn close aren't ya? Maybe a little more than an hour away. I'm in Sussex County. Lol the dresser is hardly a dresser anymore actually. I trashed the drawers and stuff and all that's left of it is now my work desk (it also doubles as my dog's sleeping area). But its not tall enough for me to tiller the bow on. Making bows and primitive tools is my latest obsession. People think I'm crazy but I wanna know how to do this stuff if something catastrophic where to happen and we no long had all these luxuries like electricity and supermarkets. Plus it's fun!
By the way, I broke the bow I was talking about here and am currently working on another!  :laugh: Who said, "If you ain't breakin you ain't making?" That'll teach me to not have a single ring on the back. I thought I would be upset about breaking a bow but my mind automatically went to my second stave lol.
Plays With Bow and Arrow