Author Topic: Knife question  (Read 3058 times)

Offline Rick Wallace

Knife question
« on: September 23, 2011, 06:06:54 am »
I ve been useing gun blue to finish my knife blades,,works well,but is there something else{More cheaper}  that will work?  I thought I saw something about mustard???  but now I cant find it.    :-\
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline jonathan creason

Re: Knife question
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 10:25:04 am »
Anything acidic will etch the blade and give you different finishes.  Vinegar, mustard, and citrus juices all work well.  Play around with them and you can come up with some pretty cool effects.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 03:15:56 pm »
Thanks  !
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 10:59:39 pm »

the acidics like vinegar, citric juices etc. will give you a brown finish.  Rust finish as it may be called.  Makes a nice dark brown finish, for muzzle loaders.  You might try blending the blue, with the brown.  Put the brown on, and then after you have washed, and dried the metal, put the blue on or vice versa, and see what you come up with, keep applying till you get the darkness or color you want.  You might get a "plum" brown finish. ;) 
                                                                Wayne

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 04:23:47 pm »
  I like to just hand polish down to 400 grit. It's not down to mirror polish. And it's just right I think. I have put them in the oven 350,400% degrees for and hour. This gives it a slight browning effect.  Some steels like 1095 you can even temper it like this after you harden it first. I've used the browning method acids and vinegar and don't really like it.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 04:55:42 pm »
I've taken bright finish non-stainless steel blades and colored them up by using them in the kitchen on potatoes and onions.  Just let 'em dry a little and wipe with a papertowel between uses.  That will give you a very natural looking patina to the blade.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 01:30:37 am »
These blades were etched in apple cider vinegar with a little lemon juice added.  If you warm it up it works quicker.  I usually let them set overnight, wash them off, then repeat until I get the finish I like.  OR, you can hook some juice up to it and get results FAST!  Get a 6-12V lantern battery and two alligator clips.  Clip the negative lead onto the blade and suspend it in the vinegar.  Clip the positive lead to a piece of scrap steel and suspend in in the vinegar also (not touching the blade).  Soak them blade in 5 minutes intervals, cleaning it after each soaking.  This is best done with water and steel wool.  Just don't touch the blade with your fingers, as the oil will prevent a good etching.   Alternately, mustard will give you a mottled look.  (Note: these methods work best on plain-carbon steels.)

"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 03:24:55 pm »
I like that top one best, for some reason! 

;D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 03:50:13 pm »
Thanks for all the replies! I like the look of 4est's knives,I think ill try that one first,keep in mind I'm not building showpieces,just some inexpensive using knives,I'm using a couple old table saw blades for now since I have them,maybe ill move up to something better as I learn.  8)