Author Topic: straightening arrows.  (Read 4414 times)

Offline triggerfinger

straightening arrows.
« on: August 31, 2011, 02:07:20 am »
I cut a ton if jap arrow boo a couple months back and have been working on straightening them and thought id pass on a tip I learned.

My wife is a dentist and she has a torch that runs on denatured alcohol, she uses it for whatever dentists need torches for, which is beside the point, anyhow i stole it when she wasnt looking and it works absolutely perfect for straightening arrows.  The heat seems to be just the right amount, and you can do it inside without making a mess or smoke.  Also you can get the fuel at lowes and its cheap.

The downside is i looked the torch up on google and it costs like $275,  but the upside is its super simple, it is just a reservoir with a wick.  The reservoir holds the alcohol and the wick is lit just like one of the old oil lamps, which may work for this too. 
I have nothing witty to say.......

Offline Scowler

Re: straightening arrows.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 09:29:14 am »
Congrats on finding a seemingly good straightening tool.  $275 is a bit out of my price range, however.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 10:22:05 am »
I bought an alcohol burner for straightening arrows for like $8.  Sounds like it's pretty much the same thing, but I'm not sure.  I don't use it much though because the alcohol keeps evaporating out of it.  Most of the time I just use a burner on my stove.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 10:51:02 am »
Three rivers has one for $6.99.  I have had one for year and use it all the time.  Takes denatured alcohol.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 12:10:30 pm »
stringstretcher, you use it to straighten arrows with?

I've got one, but have never used it. I usually use the stove top too, but I always feel like it might be costing me a little more than necessary.

Trigger, could you post a pic of your set up?

Thanks guys, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 12:54:11 pm »
Yes I have used it to straighten arrows, put points on and lots of things.  It is a great little tool to have around.  I mostly use my propane burner to get my heat for the initial straightening on my cane and then use the alcohol burner to finish up.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 10:26:28 pm »
 I have one I got at the Flea Market for $5 and it's from the 40's in the original box. Already straightened a dozen of Hill Cane with it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 01:44:23 am »
I have a squeze bottle dental torch.  Super simple to make.  I think I paid more in shipping to get it.  It has a side spout that directs spot of focused flame sidewasye when squezed.  I get the fuel in the drug section of walmart.  90% Isopropyl.  Works great and is cheap.  Don't take the marble out of the bottom.  It becomes tippy.

Sculptors use them for melting "Chevant Clay".
http://www.sculptclayandtools.com/Products_alchol_torches_irons/BD-82440.htm

this one is kinda pricy.  I think I only paid $6.

Offline longbow01

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 12:09:09 pm »
I use an oil lamp....it works good for me.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 01:55:53 pm »
I use a plumber's propane torch. I buy the propane cannisters that are wide and stand straight up. Been using that for years. I've also use a kitchen range. I think I could probably buy another kitchen range for close to the $275. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 12:56:13 am »
 Jawge;

Glad to se you on here and made it through the Hurricane. I hope you didn't get any damage.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 08:48:20 am »
I use the burners that go under the food trays at catored events.  They work great.  In fact, over the holiday weekend, I sat on the dock at a lake and straightend a bunch of shafts over it.  It was very relaxing.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 02:39:31 am »
I did a mess with a heat gun recently.  Went pretty quick actualy.  I expected it to be more problematic.  I think in the winter I'll use the torch for onsies twosies but to sit down and make a mess of shafts, heat gun.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 11:22:32 pm »
  Sternio with a wick works very well ,cheap and last for ever. All so good for putting on heads.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 05:37:59 pm »
I will either use a heat gun or a single burner atop a propane bottle. Depends on where I'm at. Either one is very effective.