Author Topic: Kewl P.A. Link!  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Kewl P.A. Link!
« on: September 21, 2011, 07:30:17 pm »
Not sure it this is common knowledge or not.
At least it was not to me... stumbled up on it researching Oleander wood for Bows.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/pages/backissu.html

It's a pretty complete listing of topics published in P.A. Magazine.
And it is searchable, ie.  Go to the link, then Click Edit (in the top menu), and then Click "Find On This Page".

Basically it will tell you which issue of P.A. to go to in order to read the article.

Regards,

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: Kewl P.A. Link!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 07:42:54 pm »
cool gus.. What did you find out about oleander wood?  I know it grows straight and thick down in your area
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Polar Bear

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 12:27:46 am »
I know it is very toxic.  Inhaling the smoke from burning is dangerous.  Don't use to spear your hotdogs.  The whole plant is toxic to humans and other living creatures.
When we do right no one remembers, when we do wrong no one forgets.

Offline Gus

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 01:32:54 am »
It's poisonous...   :)

Problem is I have a couple of Huge Oleander bushes that are tree sized right next to my house.
And they just look Bowie... and Arrow like.

But in truth I have plenty to work on that is less likely to hurt my Kids, the Woman, the Dogs or me and the turtle.

So I'll let it be.

Besides my neighbor has a Mullberry tree that needs trimming.  :)

-gus
PS. However they did do a story in P.A. Volume 4 Issue 4 on an Oleander Bow. I just haven't dug it out of my secret stack yet.  ::)
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline johnston

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 12:59:01 pm »
Gus I did a lot of work trying to find the correct name of a local tree and wound up taking a good-sized branch to a Clemson University extension office.
The tree is Cherry Laurel and is poisonous ever which way. The pulp of the berries is the only part of the tree that ain't harmful.Did not know that.

Thing is I have been using it all my life for a variety of things including "limb bows", staffs, and it makes a super rabbit box trigger. Got a half dozen staves drying right now that were cut before I found out about the toxic nature of the tree.

Thinking of using gloves and a mask with good ventilation to make one bow at least. Kinda on the fence about it.

Lane

Offline Gus

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 02:19:00 pm »
Hello Johnston,

Been looking around and so far only found reference to Potential Poison:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/st505
Though the crushed leaves and green twigs give off a delicious maraschino cherry fragrance, they are quite bitter and possibly poisonous.

So I'm not sure if it is in fact poisonous... yet.  :)

If you decide to work it you could just wear a mask or respirator and eye protection in a well ventilated area to CYA.

-gus

Conroe, TX