Author Topic: The attack of the STACK!!!!!!  (Read 3013 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: The attack of the STACK!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 10:03:54 pm »
Yea, I'd love to do that.  I tried twice today and left the point too thick to use both times.  You're getting your preform as thin as I end up.  Very nice work.   That should hunt just fine.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 10:33:02 pm »
The biggist problem I have now g is that I am getting good at thinning with the leather pad and over power and cause over shoot of the flake.  Shannon sawfiler taught me how to use the leather pad and it changed everything.  If I could show you for ten minute it would really change things for you. Maybe I will video the process and post it for you.  it will cost me because I will have to have my wife video .  She is sooooo thrilled about flint knapping.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 10:39:13 pm by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 12:35:16 am »
Hehe, I know just what you mean. Mary likes the points I make but has no interest in the process.  I had a friend from church come over today and in a couple minutes he had a copper bopper and was swinging away.  Great fun, he was go engrossed he missed an appointment.  I think he'll be back.  But, my attempts at points didn't pan out.  Tomorrow'll be a better day.  Would love to learn some pressure flaking tricks.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 12:46:24 am »
The biggist problem I have now g is that I am getting good at thinning with the leather pad and over power and cause over shoot of the flake.  Shannon sawfiler taught me how to use the leather pad and it changed everything.  If I could show you for ten minute it would really change things for you. Maybe I will video the process and post it for you.  it will cost me because I will have to have my wife video .  She is sooooo thrilled about flint knapping.

I could always "swing by" and video it for ya and maybe get a few pointers in the meantime.  I sat down for the 1st time today and took a slab/slag of rootbeer colored art glass and went to town.  Had a fairly decent 5" clovis style spear point going (no idea how I was gonna flute it  :o) but I didn't need to worry about that since I snapped it in the middle while finishing up my bobber work.  I think I can manage to salvage an arrow head out of the top piece so we'll see how I do with my 1st flake job.

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 06:17:54 pm »
Yes Sir,

Nice looking point.

I'd love to see the Leather Pad technique.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 06:24:56 pm »
Ok I will try to put something on youtube but understand this is what shannon showed so please credit him. 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!