Author Topic: Sapling Bow  (Read 9776 times)

wannabe

Sapling Bow
« on: July 06, 2007, 05:49:56 pm »
I must say I enjoy Primitive Archer immensely. I buy each issue it at my local grocer's newsstand. When I was a kid I read Larry D. Olson's Outdoor Survival Skills in which he shows how to make a sapling bow. My attempt at this as a kid was poor. So I thought I'd try again. I have to  say that I'm a terribly busy pastor of 4 rural congregations, so my work on the bow has been sporadic at best, but if you're interested in reading about it the project can be found at my blog.

http://theabrahamsons.blogspot.com/search/label/Bowyering

The posts at this site are latest at the top, so go to the bottom on Nov. 3rd, 2006 for the beginning. That's the month I discovered Primitive Archer.

I don't claim any skill, just interest and enjoyment. Thank you all for your posts. They have been very good reading.

Pr. Joseph Abrahamson
Oklee, MN

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Sapling Bow
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 09:04:13 am »
Way to go, Pastor.Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

wannabe

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 01:02:21 am »
I'm curious if anyone out there has experience making sapling bows and which species they have found work well.

Thanks,
Joe (Pr. Abrahamson)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 08:07:56 am »
I have made several using Hickory saplings and the work good.I have split some right down the middle and some left the handle when the size was right and just worked down each limb.Haven't
made any in a good while tho.I have also made them from Osage limbs about the same way.Looks
like you are coming along just need to work on your tillering a little and they will work out fine. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 10:45:04 am »
Like Pappy, I have made sapling bows and most were hickory. I also made a few with osage. I have split them down the middle to make 2 bows(if lucky) or left the handle area alone and just shaped the limbs.        Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jpitts

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 12:50:16 am »
Thanks Pastor. I really enjoyed reading your blog. I love the pics of your helpers too. Way to go. Get yourself a bench soon so the wife won't get ya for using her table ;D
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

wannabe

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 01:15:27 am »
Gang,
Thank you all for your kind words and advice. Pappy, I'll continue to work the tiller of this bow above and below the hinges before I back it. Jimmy, I'm glad you liked the blog and my helpers. George, your encouragement means a great deal.  Jimmy, you're right about the table and the kitchen counter. I'm hoping to make a http://www.primitiveways.com/shaving-horse.html portable shaving horse like the one at the primitive ways website.

May your tiller be true and may the eccentricities of the wood lend to the beauty of your work,

Joe

Offline gpw

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 09:40:28 am »
You guys ever just take a tree limb and make a bow ...??? Round "natural" cross section ...a well seasoned limb makes a serviceable bow with little work ... a good knife and some string and you're in business... no where the performance of a "worked "bow... but Fun ...very long river cane arrows shoot ok for short distances...

Offline jpitts

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 12:34:27 am »
GPW, I used to do that all the time as a kid....
Pastor...you may find a regular height bench with a regular vice on it works as good or better...and I also use one of those Black-n-Decker workmate benches too...I have a shaving horse but use the other two more... ::)
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

duffontap

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 01:32:38 pm »
Pastor Joe, do your people call you 'PJ'?  They should. 

Here's my honest advice--abandon that project and start a new bow.  You've learned a lot from the project already and you will have to invest a lot of time in retillering and backing--time that could be spent building a much better bow.  All of us have broken plenty of bows in the learning process and some of us still do (like me).  Lean it up against a wall and grab another stick to work on.

If you'ld like a good sappling or split stave, send me a PM with your address and I'll send you one. 

J. D.