Author Topic: First Timer looking for Advice  (Read 2516 times)

Offline foolishman

First Timer looking for Advice
« on: August 19, 2011, 06:14:00 am »
I am working on a red oak pyramid bow, and I am planning on backing it with hickory.  As it stands now, it is 69" in length, 2" wide at the fades going to 3/4" tips.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Also in the picture... the darn bandsaw motor burnt itself out and I am having a heck of a time finishing the limb with a coping saw.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: First Timer looking for Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 09:48:55 am »
Before I had a bandsaw I use to lay them out and work them down with a
draw knife and Farrier's rasp.  :) The lay out sounds about right,Not realy sure because I have never backes a bow with anything other than Rawhide or
sinew. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 10:04:51 am »
The problem with using hickory to back red oak is that hickory is very strong in tension whereas red oak isn't brilliant in compression. The way to combat this is to trap the backing. So make it 1/4 thick to give you plenty of room to narrow it without having to go past the glue line or have to use a really shallow angle (which doesn't help much).
Of course the simplest option is to leave it unbacked if the grain is good enough!
Maple or ash are a better bet for backing oak without having to trap. Linen canvas would also work well or rawhide.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 10:53:42 am »
I have made several hickory backed oak bows, one was a severe r/d and they all are shooting fine. Radius the edges of the hickory to relieve some tension and plane the backer down to .100" or less. You shouldnt have a problem getting a fine bow from your combo. You could easily narrow it down some as well, that hickory will add some power the oak doesnt have alone.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline foolishman

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 02:28:56 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  I had a draw knife but I lost it when I moved and the new one is still being delivered.  I will post pics as soon as I can.  The ones I have now are too large.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 03:49:37 pm »
you can remove most of the wood with a tablesaw, just dont cut past the fades, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 04:14:05 pm »
I used a skilsaw on boards before I got my bandsaw. Works great, just leave some line to rasp clean later.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline foolishman

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 03:35:14 pm »
Thanks for all the advice folks.  I just finished tillering it, and I decided to leave it unbacked.  The lower limb is a hair stiffer than the upper, but I have read after the bow wears in that it should even out.  Still need to put the finish on it but I figured I would post a pic for you all to look at.

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 03:53:22 pm »
That looks excellent! Very good job, and it's your first!!

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 08:48:53 pm »
That looks sweet! One tip though, you said that you had narrowed the tips to 3/4 inch... If you Marie them to 3/8 and recut your mocks you will get much better performance and less handshock.

Offline foolishman

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 11:10:16 pm »
I guess I should put down finished dimensions... It is 66" long ( puppy got a hold of the bottom of a limb) 2.5" at the fades going to a 3/8" tips.  Pin knocks, still have to finish sanding and finishing... came out to be 42# @ 28".  Next one will be perfect though.