Author Topic: What about shoestring?  (Read 2519 times)

Offline WolfPupTee

• You don't understand what I'm doing, but I do.
    • The Artis Den
What about shoestring?
« on: September 20, 2011, 07:01:33 pm »
I have tons of white shoelaces. Has anyone ever backed a bow with shoelaces? I know people sometimes use it as bowstring.
Plays With Bow and Arrow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: What about shoestring?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 08:27:12 pm »
One can come up with all sorts of things to back bows with. Shoestrings will back a bow...but why!
  If you have a bow that needs backing(and not all do) why not use a proven backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WolfPupTee

• The Artis Den
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 09:44:48 pm »
lol because I just don't have those types of things on me! I searched the house up and down for something, anything!, that was made of linen. Everything was made of polyester. The jeans that I have aren't even denim. They're 50 percent this and 40 percent that. The ties that my grandpa has aren't silk. The cotton things that I find aren't all cotton or they're something like a sock or two which just aren't big enough and the biggest surprise of all was that we don't have brown paper bag and it turns out that I wasn't the only one that needed them. My brother's World History teacher wants him to cover his book in it but as I said we don't have it. So I have to try to be create and come up with something because I don't want this thing splintering. That is all  :laugh:
Plays With Bow and Arrow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 10:15:50 pm »
Go to the grocery store and ask them if you can have a large paper grocery bag. I'm sure they will give you one or more.  Do you actually need a backing on your bow?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WolfPupTee

• The Artis Den
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 12:18:29 am »
Plastic only there. Fresh Pride. I might not but I don't really trust the wood on the top limb because of

this. But it's lasted so far. Even though tillering (I forgot that I should have backed it first). Maybe I should stop obsessing. It's not like its going to be my only bow ever  :laugh: .
Plays With Bow and Arrow

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 12:34:53 am »
it wont be your only bow, but you should always try your best, what kind of wood is that?
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 12:40:29 am »
You have to keep your eye on the big picture and don't stress about every little imperfection. Think of them ar character and develop the bow around them. Use that stave as a test. If you haven't violated the grain on the back and the wood is sound that area of growth ring will be thicker and stronger than the surrounding "good" wood. Trees are funny that way. They beef up areas that are weaker because they still have to depend on it.  If that malady were to blow no backing would prevent it anyway.
Don't hurt yourself but see if you can keep the bow together and let that stave teach you about the properties of wood and especially how wood handles blemishes like this. Wood will teach you everything you need to know about it if you listen.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 01:47:32 am »
A part of making a selfbow is to get over the fear of breaking it.  Pay attention and listen to it, yes.  But, don't be afraid of the little imperfections and take the next step.  After you have more bows under your belt, you will discover the differences between minor and major imperfections.  In the meantime, post a pic, get some opinions and move forward. 

Nevertheless, back to your picture.  Forget about a backing, in this case.  Make the bow.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline WolfPupTee

• The Artis Den
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 10:34:16 am »
Thanks guys! I feel alot better about it now.
Plays With Bow and Arrow

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 10:42:21 am »
WPT, is that a board? Is that the back? If yes, it will break. I see lots of ring violations too on the back. The grain lines ideally should run tip to tip. No knots on boards. If that is from a log stave, knots such as those should be  have wood on the sides to keep the back from breaking. You could try leaving some wood on the belly.Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline WolfPupTee

• The Artis Den
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 11:15:22 am »
It's from a tree yes. Not a board and I think I'll wrap that part. 
Plays With Bow and Arrow