Author Topic: interesting flute  (Read 1892 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
interesting flute
« on: September 25, 2011, 07:59:43 am »
this blade was removed from a large core i was spalling out. its az. basalt . created the blade core using jim winn's peck and grind. it had a large ridge on one side so i wanted to build convexity without losing a lot of material. decided to set it up for a flute. flute came out great. if you work with hammerstones though its an odd flute because it ran so long and narrow. most of em expand from the energy. anyway couldn't flute both sides cause there is an air pocket in the next platform. i also knew id lose the flute once i thinned it down more. used the hammerstone to the end and then ran a quick pass with the antler tine to clean it up. had one area that was still thick so i popped it off with a billet. still needs cleaning but i love the paleo look more and more. stacks and bumps make it look authentic.

flute

air pocket in second platform

"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: interesting flute
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 08:32:06 am »
I like that authentic look too Jamie. Not seeing any humps and bumps though - looks pretty slick. Man your giving that Ford hell arent ya? ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 08:35:37 am »
thanks paul, truck dont mind the flintknappin, i just scratch her behind the ear every now and then and shes pleased. gets pissed when i fill her up with 2 tons of gravel though. =)
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline bushman

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 01:32:24 am »
Sweet looking blade Jamie, wish I could make something like that out of that basalt.
Bushman

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 08:15:36 pm »
Nice blade I like that look also. 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 03:10:54 am »
When I looked @ the 1st pic, I thought it looked really cool, but then when I saw how thin it was...man!  :o  Please post w/ hammerstones next time.  Really cool.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 01:46:43 am »
Rock on  ;D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...