Author Topic: 2011 elk hunt  (Read 2589 times)

Offline Keenan

2011 elk hunt
« on: September 27, 2011, 04:19:57 pm »
 Back on the home front . No exciting elk stories. However I did almost step on a young cougar about the size of a bobcat. It was on the other side of a log that I was stepping over. Scared the snot out of me. Not sure where momma was, but it did have me a little concerned. Season was very hot and dry and like walking on popcorn clear up to the last day.  Called in two bulls but no shots. First year for as long as I can remember where I didn't hear an elk bugle all season. Frustrating year with the weather and also the idiots that have no hunting ethics. 
 Someone decided to take a dump below my lower tree stand and made no attempt to bury it. Then someone decided to go cross country with their jacked up rock crawler, and drove through and over trees, deep into the roadless area and through the creek bottom just below my other stand.  And if that wasn't enough it seemed I was making the wrong call all season and either a day early or a day late on every drainage that I hunted. Enough of my complaining. It is nice to still be able to get out and hunt.  General season is gone and looking toward the late cow hunt and buck hunt.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: 2011 elk hunt
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 06:47:46 pm »
Where you on Michigan Public land by chance Keenan? That story sounds so familiar to me friend. I agree, at least you had the opportunity to get out and hunt, enjoy ma nature and hopefully a few mid-afternoon stand snoozes!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 07:04:55 pm »
 Nah up in Central Oregon, LOL ya mean this same kinda thing happens to others ??? ::)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 08:51:04 am »
I was wondering how you was doing,sounds like a tough year,Thats the way it goes sometimes. Hope you have better luck in the late season. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Little John

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 12:17:43 am »
Keenan, sorry it did not work out better for you and hate to hear about the slob hunters, just makes me shake my hread. Pretty cool about seeing the cat. Wish you could have been here with me for the last weekend. I really got into them and needed someone calm enough to shoot one. I completly missed a gimme shot at a full headed mature six point and later got busted at 15-20 yards by a big bull (probabbly the same bull) when I moved a bit to prepare for the shot that was seconds from being in the shooting lane, two other bulls within 40-50 yards. Winded by one and could not call the other when he could not see other elk in the hay field, he just plowed up hay with his horns and flipped it up in the air and bugled. When I decided I had a stalking opportunity to crawl up each time his head was hown, he decided to head off to the other side of the field before I could get close. I sure do need more experience at opperating in the close proximity to these awsome animals, Don't know if I will ever learn to shoot well wnen the presure is on. Good luck on your late season hunt.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 01:33:10 am »
Thanks Pappy.  Just found out no general late cow season this year. They made it a draw hunt and I didn't realize it and so I'll miss out on that one.

Kenneth; Great story and glad to hear you got into them in your last week. If there is one thing I know about elk it is that they can certainly humble a person in the blink of an eye. Keeping that adrenaline under control when they are screaming and ripping stuff up is a definite challenge sometimes.  Ive learned to never look at the head gear otherwise I have a harder time aiming small.

Offline Little John

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 09:51:47 am »
Well Keenan we will get them next year, Did Lulyn get to hunt with you? We are going out this evening and try to get my wife (Kathie) some shooting with her camera. We still have a chance for her cow rifle hunt here in a couple of weeks. We will be going back into the back country camp Pat and I hunted out of. Hope some more animals have migrated into the area. We are out of elk meat and it sure would be nice to hang one up and then get the camp packed out before the snows geet too deep. The good news is that it is just eleven monthes till we go after them again.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 02:46:04 pm »
Little John, 11 months and we get to go again...I like your thinking! That just gives me 10 months to get in better shape, better start now... 8)
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 12:12:56 am »
sorry your season didnt turn out too well Keenan, you could have just picked up the poor helpless kitty :D if you pick him up by the scruff of the neck he wont scratch you much....however..momma may just claw the heck out of you :o look forward to next season, we have to do some scouting to find a new area. you saw two of the reasons why you arent seeing much game.