Author Topic: backing a bow with yew  (Read 2728 times)

Offline timberwolf1975

backing a bow with yew
« on: September 18, 2011, 02:04:38 pm »
I managed to get a hold of some nice straight yew branches between 20 and 36 inches long and 1-1/2 inches thick. I was wondering if i planed them down to about 3/8 if it would make a  good bow backing for white woods (birch maple and ash).
Has anyone tried this?

ty

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: backing a bow with yew
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 02:46:15 pm »
is there not enough heartwood to make a bow out of? if not, then the sapwood would probably work, but get someone with more experience than i have's opinion
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 02:51:06 pm »
Yew sapwood would be good for a backing. Yew heartwood would make a good belly.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 03:01:12 pm »
I agree. Unless the heartwood is complete trash I'd use the yew limb as billets and make a yew selfbow. There are lots of other backing materials, from paper to cloth to rawhide, that will make good backings for the whitewoods you have...if they even need it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline timberwolf1975

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 04:06:18 pm »
unfortunately these branches are all heart wood except for one layer of soft wood on them, even though they over and inch thick for the most part there is a lot of knots in the wood. They were on the way to a land fill so I rescued them, yew is hard to come by in eastern Ontario. I'm still quite new to this hobby so I thought to take a chance grabbing the branches figuring I might be able to figure a use for them.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 05:26:03 pm »
Id use them as a belly wood then and back em with rawhide,sinew,bamboo,hickory etc...

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 08:14:20 am »
unfortunately these branches are all heart wood except for one layer of soft wood on them, even though they over and inch thick for the most part there is a lot of knots in the wood. They were on the way to a land fill so I rescued them, yew is hard to come by in eastern Ontario. I'm still quite new to this hobby so I thought to take a chance grabbing the branches figuring I might be able to figure a use for them.
Unfortunately????  There's no 'unfortunately' about it!
That sounds perfect to me!
Just take the bark off very carefully... ( or, come to think of it, leave the darned stuff on, if it wants to come off it will do in it's own sweet time, meanwhile it is protecting the more delicate sapwood).
Leave any branches or knots sticking up by 1/8", leave the back alone.
Just chop away the belly until you have a nice stickbow.
It's rare (or it is in the UK) to find Yew with nice thin sapwood.
It only needs 1/8" of sapwood to do the job.
Even if the wood is knotty, Yew is pretty forgiving, don't beat youself up if it breaks, just have a go and you will learn a lot.
Del
(Check out my website, just google 'Delsbows' also have a look at my 'bowyers diary' (google that too) where I blog my bow making, including the failures, I'm currently working on a Yew primitive)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 08:19:45 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline timberwolf1975

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 11:05:17 am »
Ty for the advice

Offline druid

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 04:53:40 pm »
I would splice it in the handle and make a bow.