Author Topic: Tell me what you see...  (Read 4386 times)

Offline Mechslasher

Tell me what you see...
« on: September 17, 2011, 09:31:40 pm »
and i'll tell you what happened.

"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Tell me what you see...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 09:35:52 pm »
Is there an arrow in the the top of his back about mid-body?

George
St Paul, TX

Offline lowell

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 10:38:04 pm »
Did he get tangled up in a string or clothes line??  Nice buck for sure!!

Ok...or an arrow that missed that was shot from the other side of the fence? :-\
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 12:17:06 am by lowell »
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 10:58:42 pm »
I see a big white antler on top of its head.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline sonny

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 11:18:50 pm »
appears to be an arrow with an illuminated nock sticking from his leg.

though after a second look, if that's an arrow it's mighty damn long!

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 11:27:51 pm »
 I'm guessing, but, did you hit him a little high and he turned and ran back the way he came? ???
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 11:35:05 pm »
Is that an arrow mid flight? It is to straight to not be man made, but it is very long.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline WolfPupTee

• You don't understand what I'm doing, but I do.
    • The Artis Den
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 12:01:33 am »
A buck running with an arrow in flight going just over its back and into the fence.
Plays With Bow and Arrow

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 12:12:53 am »
looks like an arrow stuck in the skin along the ridge in its back? halfway through?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 01:19:09 am »
Looks like the arrow hit his shoulder or upper leg bone, didn't penetrate(much) and is laying back as he runs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 02:01:31 am »
 I'll take my first one back because I know you like those Illuminocks, we're watching you miss on the Game camera?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline johnston

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 02:14:09 am »
Agree with Eddie #2.

Lane

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 02:38:30 am »
well fellows, this pic pretty much sums up my hunt this morning.  if y'all look back at my other pics, you'll see the same buck walking the other direction in almost the same spot.  my stand is across from the fence, bout 10 yards from where the buck is running.  well at 7:30 this morning i looked down the 10' wide path, that the water treatment plant is nice enough to mow for me,  and saw this fellow walking toward me.  he actually stopped and peeked at my camera for a second and continued walking, needless to say my heart stopped when he paused.  he continued on and when he stepped in my shooting lane, which is where he is standing in this pic below, i drew and picked the spot where his shoulder blade attaches to his humorous.  i didn't actually want to hit that spot, i was leading him about 2-3" for a solid heart/lung shot.  everything fell apart when just before i released, he stopped and the lighted nock flew like a laser and hit the exact spot i was aiming.  i must have hit the thickess part of bone because i only got a couple inches of penetration.  the arrow broke off just behind the broadhead and flew about 8' in the air when he dropped down to take off.  in the pic, he's running away with the broken arrow falling to the ground.  there were a couple drops of blood on the end of the arrow.  i looked around using a grind pattern for about seven hours this afternoon.  according to my gps tracker, i walked a little over five miles and never found a drop of blood.  i'm fairly certain he's going to make it if it doesn't get infected.  back when i cleaned deer for a deer processor, i've skinned well over 1000 deer, i have dug out over a dozen broadheads out of rib bones and shoulder blades.  i'd bet that 25% of deer walking around couldn't pass through a metal detector without lighting it up.  i think the toughess deer i ever saw was a doe i shot through the shoulder with an aluminum arrow.  tracked her over a mile and never found her.  two years later i was cleaning a deer and found my arrow in the doe.  it had healed over with the arrow going from her right shoulder into her leg with the broadhead still on it.  i asked the fellow where he shot the doe and it was about 200 yards from where i had shot her.  the fellow said she had a very slight limp and was healthy enough to have had a fawn that year.  deer are tough and it's only day three of my season and i'm hoping for another chance at this fellow one day soon.

"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 03:12:28 am »
My,"what shudda been" first trad kill was a buck I shot at 14 yards, broadside but slightly quartering away. (58" Jefferys takedown recurve 55#@26", 600gr ash arrows, Zwicky Eskamo 125))Solid hit, "death run"! 5 hours that night and 5 more the next day(about 1000yard track). No deer. He was hitting his scrapes two weeks later(distinct hoof print).
  I think I let that area cool off before hunting him again. The canera will tell you if he's still around.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 06:16:39 pm »
That sucks, nice buck. But like you said, I've skinned several over the years that had healed-up broadheads and bullets in them and were doing fine.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.