Author Topic: Long-time Lurker, First Time Poster  (Read 3850 times)

Offline Freebirth

• My Blog
Long-time Lurker, First Time Poster
« on: September 17, 2011, 03:34:38 am »
Howdy everybody!

I've had this account for a while, but never posted anything before now. As I'm working a stave of hickory for the first time, I figured it was as good a time as any to introduce myself to community. I'm 23 and living in Ohio right now. It was only a few years ago when the inner caveman woke up and really compelled me outdoors. Since then I've read up on and tried to practice some rudimentary perma-gardening, camping trips (along with all the fun skills you get to practice out there), archery, survival skills, hiking, etc... and now bow-making!

Picked up The Traditional Bowyer's Bible Volume 1 last winter and armed with that and this forum, felled a nice shagbark in my woods. Well, being new I didn't know how big of a pain stripping the bark from winter-cut hickory is, but I managed to get most of it and the cambium off.  What I've learned so far: I used my hatchet too little, leaving a ton of work for my drawknife. The future is uncertain for this bow. Hopefully, I do everything right and the wood cooperates and doesn't explode when I try to tiller it. I've got suitable motivation because I've vowed not to hunt until I can do it with a bow I've made.

Anyway, hello everybody! I've enjoyed the community from afar, but now it's time for me to creep up and take a seat by the campfire.

Additional info for an already long-winded introduction:

I'm a college graduate in digital media (so while I can't trade much in the way of bush craft accessories, I can trade service doing graphics work for websites or videos)
I'm a pretty good cook
My ultimate goal is to have a nice little house on a big plot of land in Montana that I can work and live off of.
Southern Ohio

Offline lowell

Re: Long-time Lurker, First Time Poster
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 10:16:32 am »
Welcome....with all the good help/info here you'll be hunting with your own bow in no time!! 8)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline johnston

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 10:33:19 am »
Welcome Freebirth!Good to see a young person progress into the real world.
Hickory is a fine wood. You could make a couple of rabbit sticks out of scraps and hunt with those til the bow is ready.

Lane

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 11:22:08 am »
Welcome neighbor (I'm from Indiana).  Are you a Bengals or Browns fan?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 12:09:09 pm »
Welcome to the forum. 

Osage, I'm a fellow Hoosier, where you @?  I'm just East of Bloomington on the Brown/Monroe line North of SR46, South of SR45.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 12:13:22 pm »
I'm in the South East corner along the river.  I'm about an hour west of Cincinnati  (Who Dey)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Freebirth

• My Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 04:44:40 pm »
Ah, thanks guys!

Right now, I'm in mid-southern Ohio, along the river, though I could be moving to the Columbus area relatively soon. Regardless I'm a Bengals fan for life!
Southern Ohio

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 05:07:53 am »
Howdy             :)
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 05:41:08 pm »
Welcome, dude!

Where were you a year ago?!?!  A friend of mine had 23 acres with a three bedroom house, barn, two horse sheds, apple trees, garden space and National forest on two sides of the place out in Western Montana for sale and NO TAKERS.  She had deer, elk, black bear, griz, couger and everything else you could think of in her yard at one time or another.  It's just half a mile from the North fork of the Clark River where there is incredible fishing for trout and monster pike.  It appraised at $240,000 six years ago and sold for $62,000.  She took a bath...a bloodbath. 

I thought about buying the place and starting a whitewater farting company in the summers and guiding hunters in the fall....spend the rest of the time making bows and goofing off in here.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Freebirth

• My Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 09:57:08 pm »
Welcome, dude!

Where were you a year ago?!?!  A friend of mine had 23 acres with a three bedroom house, barn, two horse sheds, apple trees, garden space and National forest on two sides of the place out in Western Montana for sale and NO TAKERS.  She had deer, elk, black bear, griz, couger and everything else you could think of in her yard at one time or another.  It's just half a mile from the North fork of the Clark River where there is incredible fishing for trout and monster pike.  It appraised at $240,000 six years ago and sold for $62,000.  She took a bath...a bloodbath. 

I thought about buying the place and starting a whitewater farting company in the summers and guiding hunters in the fall....spend the rest of the time making bows and goofing off in here.

Wow, man. That sounds like one hell of a property. Might have to keep an eye on my dog, but I think that's a good tradeoff for all the wildlife. And whitewater farting sounds like a nice manly sport, haha ;)

Southern Ohio

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 10:35:34 am »
Welcome to the place !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 12:26:34 am »
How the heck did I drop that Freudian slip?  whitewater RAFTING!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Freebirth

• My Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 02:39:58 am »
Yeah, I knew what you meant but the six-year old in me couldn't resist.
Southern Ohio

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 07:55:24 am »
Welcome,good to have you posting. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Freebirth

• My Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 06:23:11 am »
Thanks Pappy!