Author Topic: Any tips on Bamboo backed Ipe  (Read 2770 times)

Offline dmc

Any tips on Bamboo backed Ipe
« on: September 13, 2011, 03:20:34 am »
Hi all,
Yesterday I received a 72 inch piece of bamboo strip and a nice piece of Ipe 72 inches long, 5/8 thick, and 1.5 inches wide.  What is an ideal length for an Ipe bow? I'm planning on glueing up a handle on it, and am wondering  how wide you would keep the fades before tapering down to the nocks? What is the ideal nock width for Ipe as well? I've tillered out two maple boards before, but have never used Ipe or bamboo. A huge thank you to Scott E from Saskatchewan for giving me the bamboo and Ipe. A true gentleman.
Any tips from others with experience are appreciated and welcome. I understand Ipe dust is fairly toxic, so I'll be sure to wear a good mask when sanding and scraping.
Carpe Diem- Seize the Day!!

Offline bubby

Re: Any tips on Bamboo backed Ipe
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 07:42:23 am »
my boo backed epe is 62" ntn, 1"1/4" wide, straight taper out to about 10" from the tips70# @ 29", 1 1/2" fades, keep the tips  1/2" or under, 72" will make a great long bow and give you a better chance of a shooter if you haven't built a bunch, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 08:50:37 am »
Mine matches up with Bub's right on, except its 57# @ 28". I built a pair one weekend and love them both. The other one is a few pounds lighter. I suggest no longer than 64-66" tip to tip, unless you draw over 30". Ipe is heavy, dense wood and if the limbs get too long they can get sluggish. Be *SURE* your bamboo is thinned down. If the boo is over 1/8" in the center and 1/16" towards mid limb and out it will require you thin your Ipe core down so much it can hinge or chrysal because it will be thinner than the boo. I like my tips thin, 3/8" - 1/2" maximum.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dmc

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 12:39:27 pm »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 01:08:24 pm »
Don't forget the mask for the bamboo either.  That Ipe dust can be nasty stuff and the longer you work with it the more an allergy can develop.  I'd consider keeping the dust off your skin as much as possible as well.  I've noticed mine getting worse over a couple years.
1’—>1’

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 03:54:12 pm »
 As they said above really, I've made a few     of these and I believe 64" - 66" is good for a stater, you can definately go shorter once you've got experience what these materials will do, but harder to pull off a shorter one first time. For a 64" bow,      I use 1 1/4" wide at the fades and the ipe is about 3/8" where it stars bending for a 60# bow ( and knife edge the bamboo ) you can easily glue in small reflex too
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline dmc

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 04:39:09 pm »
As they said above really, I've made a few     of these and I believe 64" - 66" is good for a stater, you can definately go shorter once you've got experience what these materials will do, but harder to pull off a shorter one first time. For a 64" bow,      I use 1 1/4" wide at the fades and the ipe is about 3/8" where it stars bending for a 60# bow ( and knife edge the bamboo ) you can easily glue in small reflex too
Thanks dragonman, when you say "knife edge" the bamboo, are you talking about scraping the rind off the boo and the nodes before glue up or are talking about scraping the edge after it is glued down?

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 05:03:51 pm »
hi dmc, by knife edge, I mean planing the boo down to a knife edge, ie. making it as thin as possible, so it literally makes a knife edge that is very sharp.It can easily slice your hand if your not careful . Remove the inner side of the boo til it meets the outer, hope thats clear?
Personally I never remove the rind or the nodes, I know that many do. but my theory is, if the boo has a natural protection why remove it, its good for the back to have protection!!! and  I like the nodes, they look good .....take them down very minimally on a back otherwise its risky, and whats the harm in them ? the back just looks like natural boo.
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 03:41:54 am »
I leave the nodes.  I do scrape the rind becasue it will often have all kindsof scuffs and stuff on it.  Don't go through the power fibers which are just under the rind.