Author Topic: Glue test  (Read 10467 times)

Offline DirtyDan

Glue test
« on: July 05, 2007, 03:07:00 pm »
Well after trying virtually every glue out there and having failures in one area or another, I have finally found the right one--for wood and bamboo, at least.  You may laugh, but it is Titebond III.  I finally got enough courage to try it on bamboo-backed laminations, and I was shocked at how well it has stood up on locust, osage, Ipe, and elm with bamboo backing.  Fine Woodworking recently conducted a strength test on  all of the major types of glue, and Titebond III won, hands down. So, the next time I had a glue-up, I tried it.  It worked great.  Very strong, flexible, good glue lines, cheap, and easy clean up.  Try it.  I think you will be surprised.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
Re: Glue test
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 04:23:33 pm »
I've tried it, and it is some great stuff.  ;D
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline kiwijim

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 07:28:15 pm »
How does it rate compared to 2 pot heat cured epoxy like smooth-on?

regards

James

Trapper

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 08:46:23 pm »
Ive always had trouble with handle risers wanting to pop off, and then I tried the TB3 and so far all handle risers are staying on . Ive used it for tip overlayes and everything and its the best hands down, I would trust it. I think one of the reasons it works so well, is it never gets brittle like other glues, and like handle risers it gives just enough to keep them in place. Thats just my humble opinion.       Trapper

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 11:28:36 pm »
  Kiwijim,I don't know about Smooth On,but I like it better then Urac.I've been using it since it came out.It just sets up quicker than TB2.And you can clean up and thin it with water.But it is water proof when dry.I thin it down when I use it with sinew.Like wrapping nocks and points on arrows.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 01:18:10 am »
I just bought a new bottle today. ;D  Good stuff.   It's strong, safe, no smell, cleans up with water, is waterproof after curing, readily available...nuff said!   I have an unopened can of Urac in my basement frig and it's been there over a year. I love Urac for wood to wood glue-ups but TBIII is easier. ;)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

brian melton

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 02:37:35 am »
Eddie,

That bamboo backed eastern red cedar I sent you a couple of yrs ago was done with titebond 111 is it still together???

Brian

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 06:03:02 am »
I'm with yall,I use it all the time on tips and handles and have used it on the last 3 snake skins and raw hide I've done and it dries quick and cleans up easy and is water proof.I love the stuff.My TB2 will probably go bad from just setting there. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 08:34:49 am »
Never had a failure with TB III, and I made some poor glue up jobs :D ::) :D ::)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 09:14:23 am »
By the way Dan ,good to see you posting again,missed you around here. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline gpw

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 09:41:53 am »
Thanks for the tip!!!! .... we made alot of bows with Tightbond II  , never had a problem and we're making reflexed bows......Can't wait to try T III..  ;D

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 10:56:22 am »
I always went with the URAC or resorcinol, just because of their gap-filling properties.  Plus its easier to prep surfaces for those glues, as they are supposed to be rough.  Titebond type glues require smooth, well-mated surfaces right?  Unless you are in Hawaii.  hehe
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 11:06:39 am »
Lennie, That's what they say but like Manny, my glue joints leave a lot to be desired.  :o  Never had a backing fail due to a glue joint.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 03:40:01 pm »
If you see the gaps on the BBG used in the test, you would laugth your head out :o :o in some places I filled with a splinter of Boo after the glue up was done !!! I should send this bow out for everyone to see :D :D :D :D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 04:08:13 pm »
I usually go around the glue joint with super glue to fill the voids. ;D   Pat