Author Topic: Jamie Check out the basalt on this video!  (Read 1651 times)

Offline AncientArcher76

Jamie Check out the basalt on this video!
« on: September 16, 2011, 02:50:37 am »
Hi guys Im a avid rock hound and I have discovered that a large part of the entire east coast is made up of basalt!  I find it amazing and I am seriously thinking of going back to school to study Geology... LOL Thanks guys!

Russ

http://www.sciencefriday.com/program/archives/201001083
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
Re: Jamie Check out the basalt on this video!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 08:39:43 am »
russ interesting vid. our basalt is different than the western material. our stuff makes rhyolite friendly. basalt, dacite and obsidian are all forms of the same volcanic material but have gone through different cooling and pressure stages . i actually have a discussion on p.p. going about obsidian being traded in new england and as usual it created a stir because somebody said there was obsidian deposits in virginia.

northeastern basalt is great for pecking and grinding though. the axes made from it were prized possessions and handed down from one generation to the next. i may still have pics of some arrow heads i knapped and then ground some where. i'll try to find em.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 12:51:41 am »
Jamie I do know there are many forms and types some more suitable for knapping.  It is just amazing to me that there is so much to learn and I seem to learn something new or get inspired by reading someones post, in this case yours and basalt... I know its an igneous rock and we have it here in the northeast made me do some research to try and locate it.  Again if you do some research there is probably close to 20 or more different knappable materials here in NY ... thanks Jamie!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

Offline jamie

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 09:07:24 am »
20!! point me in their direction!! =)
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 03:00:06 am »
Jaimie as soon as I find the info on all the lithic material it shows each state and I know where u live and there are only a few type of materials in your state and many more in New York!  I was excited when I saw it... I will post it as soon as I can locate it on my computer!  I tend not to rattle people on PP as you tend to get full blown experts that cant fathom the possibility of different theories or proof for that matter!  I would rather believe the Soulutrian theory that Paleo tribes sailed from modern day france to the east coast and then migrated west instead of coming across the Bering ice shelf.   BUT thats a different topic!  I want to see some basalt pics and maybe if u get some free time we can hook up and go get some rox!

Russ            I found another interesting piece of knowledge!

http://tin.er.usgs.gov/geology/state/sgmc-lith.php?text=chert#New%20York
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 03:06:58 am by AncientArcher76 »

Offline jamie

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 09:29:13 am »
heres a point i did out of basalt. still needs to be ground down. this was done years ago.

waterbury, ct