Author Topic: Primitive set  (Read 3915 times)

Offline Holten101

Re: Primitive set
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 05:28:53 am »
Thanks for all the kind replys:-). After posting it and seeing the pics I realise that the slight propellar twist shows (nothing to worry about though) and the tiller could have been tweeked some more....but making bows is a process:-)

More pics of tips and quiver:

@MWirwicki:
No doubt it would make a fine hunting bow, but its not that simple were I live. I dont yet have a permit for longbow hunting (VERY hard to get....working on it though) and I think it output just below the 40 Joules required in Denmark for this type of weapon.
I actually made it low in drawweight to have a bow that I can use while recovering from some muscle ailment that I have been suffering (nothing serious...but it has kept me from shooting for allmost 3 months now)

Cheers
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 05:47:12 am by Holten101 »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 07:40:02 am »
 [No doubt it would make a fine hunting bow, but its not that simple were I live]
Where do you live ??
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Holten101

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 08:07:42 am »
Hi Pappy
Im from Denmark. In order to obtain a hunting licence with a given bow type we to first have to pass a theoretical and practical test to get a general hunting license (takes alot of reading but most people interested in hunting, get on when they turn 16;-).
After that you have to pass another theoretical and practical test with the bow of your choice. The practical part is were the devil is burried...you have to put 5 of 6 arrow in the kill zone of a Roedeer (size of a spread hand) at unknown distances varying fra 11-27 yds (10-25 m). You dont get to practice on the targets and an instructor is following your every move;-).

The test is trivial with a compound bow...but less than a handfull pass it each year with instinctive/primitive gear....oh yeah...did I mention you have to renew it every 5 yrs?;-). Im usually among the top 5 at 3D shots in Denmark (bare bow/longbow) and im still not ready to try AGAIN (I have failed once);-).

The energy requirements are 70 joules with mechanicals and 40 joules with fixed blades.

So, you see...its not simple, and not nearly enough that my bow is a credible hunting weapon had the times and legistration been different;-)

Cheers
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 08:26:54 am by Holten101 »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 10:17:05 am »
Thanks for that background information...
It seems tough but better than the UK where we can't even shoot vermin.
I'm not sure I'd actually want to hunt, but it would be nice to have the choice (Must admit, I'm tempted to have a pot shot at the pigeons in my garden)
Don't s'pose I'd pass the stringent test you describe anyway :(.
Cheers
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.